Discussion: Netanyahu: Israel Is The State Of 'Jewish People Alone'

2 Likes

Netanyahu responded: Israel “is the national state, not of all its citizens, but only of the Jewish people.”

78 Likes

Israel is an apartheid state cleverly disguised as an apartheid state run by a first-class bigot.

54 Likes

Netanyahu responded: Israel “is the national state, not of all its citizens, but only of the Jewish people.”

Would somebody explain to me why we support this monster and his apartheid government. This comment alone would seem to be a slap in the face of everything America is supposed to stand for.

27 Likes

“X is the national state, not of all its citizens”

I’d be curious to know how this read in the original Hebrew, assuming he said it in Hebrew and I spoke Hebrew. In English it’s just nonsensical.

13 Likes

Why do right wingers always circle around to eliminationism?

23 Likes

This is a preview of what’s going to happen here if/when Trump is impeached or indicted. It’s going to be ugly, but we have to stand up for the rule of law.

19 Likes

Netanyahu proves himself more odious than we thought. Hard as that may be to believe.

As a Jew, I find it horrifying that someone who claims to be Jewish can be so ignorant–willfully, I believe–of our history and values.

56 Likes

Israel’s current government has characteristics of an apartheid state. But there is an election in a month. I, for one, have my fingers crossed that the criminal Bibi and his co-conspirators will be thrown out on their collective ass.

25 Likes

He is under indictment in Israel and race-baiting would appear to be his cowardly defense. I’ll give Israel credit for that because it’s more than we’ve managed so far.

23 Likes

Well, that’s helpful to keeping everyone calm. Should make AIPAC’s job of keeping control of the terms of debate in the U.S. Congress quite easy, and people like Omar shut up immediately.

9 Likes

And the attorney-general is a member of Netanyahu’s bloc and a former government minister. But the legal process has been underway for longer --much longer–than Trump has been president.

12 Likes

Dunno if you saw the news about how the election is pre-rigged. Their candidates have to be approved by some commission. Who denied several Arab and moderate candidates, while allowing far-right extremists in.

ETA: link:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-israel-election-candidates/far-rightists-cleared-for-israel-election-arab-party-blocked

11 Likes

I share that hope but admit it is fading.

9 Likes

I do not know what AIPAC’s position will be on this issue, but your guess would have been wrong on a somewhat similar issue:

8 Likes

First and only apartheid state that I know of where the 20 percent of the citizenry who are of the minority have full voting rights.

Better than can be said for most Arab states with respect to their general citizenry, let alone with how they treat any remaining Jewish minority.

The Palestinians are a separate and different problem: They wish to replace Israel with something entirely different but could settle for a separate country if they choose to do so.

Israel was founded as a place of refuge and is central to the cultural heritage of Jews the way that Saudi Arabia and Mecca are to Muslims. It is difficult to acknowledge this without disparaging the Israeliness of Israel’s Arab citizens.

1 Like

If Netanyahu is re-elected, then Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions is the only moral response from any progressive American politician. There will no longer be any excuse to argue otherwise.

17 Likes

I think Netanyahu knows that, which is exactly why there have been moves to head off such options.

7 Likes

I’m talking more about the overall debate terms, wherein Omar was called anti-Semitical because she criticized Israel vice any individual issue.

The more extreme that Bibi becomes, the easier it is for people critical of U.S. policies towards Israel to stand up and be heard.

3 Likes

But Ilhan Omar is the true bigot. She implied that some Congresscritters back Netanyahu over US interests, but now that there is this swell of criticism from electeds today about Netanyahu’s racist exclusivity…
Or maybe not. Is it to be nothing but crickets from our definitely-not-bought-or-intimidated-by-AIPAC Congress? Pelosi? Hoyer? Schumer? Is anyone there?

6 Likes