Discussion: NC GOPer Denies Republicans May Try To Pack State's Highest Court

“That’s one of the stupidest ideas I’ve ever heard of,” he told Charlotte television station WSOC. “I mean, we’ve got to quit doing stupid party politics when people are going in or going out of office.”

Translation: The legislation to expand the court by two seats is currently being drafted in committee..
12 Likes

Trump plan: Add fourth branch of fed government: The Bundestag to consist of one “legislator” Steve Bannon through which all House and Senate measures and Supreme Court opinions must pass for approval, modification or rejection before going on to the prez.

1 Like

I briefly thought to myself after reading your post “Hmmm, that might present some major Constitutional issues.”

But then I realized…ha, ha!! Good one, Stevie!!

2 Likes

OF COURSE, they’ll try this. They are incensed that with all their work at suppressing the vote somehow those nasty voters STILL got through.

1 Like

This would also be a good time to re-institute the 3/5 Compromise.

2 Likes

Yes, and when he suspends the Constitution he will say “Oh, the Second Amendment is good. I want to keep that one provision. I would say it is one of the best, but I don’t know what else is there. People say there are some really good ones. We shall see.”

But please don’t use “Bundestag” — it’s from postwar Germany (name of current parliament here). “Reichstag” is probably closer to what you meant (although also not entirely correct either, if the reference is to a particular period in German history…).

1 Like

This has been a bad year for McCrory

2 Likes

The NC GOP still has veto-proof majorities in both houses of the legislature, but of course they would try something like this. For fuck’s sake, these assholes think Reconstruction just ended for the second time.

Chief Justice Roberts, look at the legacy of your callousness/naivete. Look at it. Rub your nose in it. When you’ve passed from this earth posterity will not be kind to you.

3 Likes

Thanks, but he would not want to be too overtly Nazi.

1 Like

Can we just officially change the R designation for candidates to Ratfuckers?

3 Likes

You mean it’s NOT in place??? I thought they had just amended it to include women…

Jeez, Lewis and Tarte, read the memo. You don’t have to lie anymore about what you’re going to do to undermine the grand experiment, our people’s democracy. Just go ahead and do it. We’ll add it to the list of crimes.

1 Like

My darling millennial told me she really hated this word. I told her to get over herself…STAT!

1 Like

I am just so done with Republicans and Conservatism in general. Every freaking day it’s some new whackadoodle plan for them to cling to power and never ever do anything that might make the lives of all Americans a teensy bit easier or happier. And the truly tragic thing is, half the country IS happy with that mindset. uuuuugh

4 Likes

At least at home I can make the beatings stop by uttering the safe word.

2 Likes

Which of course means; “Shit yeah we will do that!”
Remember, FDR tried to expand the SCOTUS to 12 members so he could pack it in his favor as the conservative court constantly declared his “New Deal” efforts unconstitutional and frustrated many of his more liberal policies. That pretty much ended when WW2 broke out but came back with a vengeance under Truman after the war.

Well, then, perhaps pick another name or another country? The German Bundestag has passed laws that support extremely strong social safety net laws, including paid leave for both parents. This includes a legally protected right to up to an additional year each of unpaid leave for both parents, which my colleagues often do in round robin with their partners, so that there can be at least one parent at home for the child’s first year. Right now they are also working on laws to cover elder care and care of very ill (cancer, MS, Parkinson’s, etc) non-geriatric family members. Not completely up to the level of all of the Scandinavian countries, but not far behind. And, far, far ahead of the US… Medical care here is basically like Obamacare: mandated by the State but run through private insurers, with 90%+ of Germans covered by State-regulated insurers with caps on profits and costs to participants. Commitment to climate change regulation, the list goes on and on.

So, personally, I think it is an insult to present day Germany to associate this name “Bundestag” with moronic, narrow-minded know-nothings like Trump and Bannon…

Sorry for the rant, but I do feel strongly about this… Germany has learned from its past and moved on…except for idiots in the AfD, a new rising rightwing party which is still in relatively small numbers and we are all praying it will stay that way.

1 Like

You are right. Thanks. No offense intended.

1 Like