Discussion: NBC: Clerk Kim Davis To Be Released From Jail, Contempt Order Lifted

Good for Judge Bunning. This was quickly becoming the Kim Davis Martyrdom Show, which distracts from the central issue, which is serving the citizens of Rowan County. If that’s getting done, then that’s all that really matters.

Always remember that the real victims in this story were the couples in Rowan County denied their due process under the law.

36 Likes

“Today in Kentucky, we have witnessed a miracle the likes of which the world has never seen before! This morning, in Federal Judge Bunning’s chambers, Jesus Christ himself appeared to argue Kim Davis’s case before the judge. The Lord’s closing argument was so persuasive, all fell upon knees and prayed with joyous tears flowing like the River Jordan. Jesus also promised to make Donald Trump POTUS, as soon as he has time to ice-over Hades. All praise J to the C!”

~For NBC, Brian Willams Reporting

3 Likes

It doesn’t look like anybody caved. According to the statement issued by the Judge, she is not to interfere with her clerks issuing the licenses or she’ll be subject to additional action. Also, the counsel for the clerks who are issuing the licenses have to submit a report every two weeks to verify that they are, indeed, doing what they are supposed to be doing.

Am I a horrible person if I hope she tries something again and gets fined this time?

17 Likes

I really don’t think so - I think the judge wanted her to have a chance to cool her heels in jail, and to deprive both Davis and her counsel the opportunity to make this a national issue. She’s out of court and loses the spotlight. It’s clear she is enjoined from interfering with the marriage license process. Basically, no exemption from the law from the Governor and licenses are being issued from her office. She loses on the policy and she loses the pulpit. I think this was a smart move. She starts it up again (interfering with the clerks) and she’ll go right back into custody - robbed of any serious claim that her own religious conscience is being impinged upon here.

18 Likes

Nonsense. The optics are fine. This is what happens when you defy a court order.

9 Likes

You are not a horrible person, but I think she’d need jail time - probably a longer stretch this time.

4 Likes

If you’re horrible then so am I!

10 Likes

Watch. She’ll comply. She didn’t believe US federal law trumped Jeebus talking to her before. Bet she believes it now.

1 Like

Great timing by Bunning. Huckabee and Cruz will want to follow through with their rally/visit stunts, only now that Davis is free they’re reduced to railing against LGBT equal marriage rights. Spitting into the winds of history. Orval Faubus and George Wallace redux.

14 Likes

I called this yesterday and am claiming " I told you so" and other bragging rights appertaining thereto.

I don’t see this going away or her getting out unless one or more of the fed “jurists” blinks. And I’m not counting that out. These kinds of intolerant, self-righteous assholes seem to be able to get away with all sorts of mischief [e.g. Cliven Bundy].

6 Likes

To clarify, I’d like to see her fined with the contingency that the fines are paid for by garnishing her wages. I would not be unhappy with more jail time, however.

6 Likes

I hadn’t thought of that. If that is the case, nice job Judge Bunning!

2 Likes

$50 says her shenanigans aren’t over and more legal trouble for her is ahead, of her own creation.

7 Likes

She’ll be smothered by the stampeding herd of lower-case wannabes …

It Could Happen!!!

I agree with those predicting further interference by Ms Davis with her deputies issuing the licenses. Don’t think we’ve seen the last of this.

7 Likes

We didn’t cave, the judge did. If that’s what happened.

3 Likes

The judge determined that since her deputies are issuing marriage licenses to gays and lesbians there was no need to keep her in jail. She has been ordered not to interfere with them. If she does, You can bet she ends up in the slammer again.

4 Likes

I loved Judy Tenuta :smile:

6 Likes

How did the judge cave?

1 Like

Don’t get too excited. This isn’t over yet. Her attorneys will still pursue the appeal of her contempt finding which this order does not lift.

What are the odds she goes into the office and shuts down all marriage licenses again? The licenses are still being issued in her name and she has always maintained that she could not accept licenses being issued by her deputies.

And of course her attorneys will appeal this order asking she be allowed to interfere.

5 Likes