Discussion: Nadler: Dems Won't 'Necessarily' Impeach Trump Over 'Impeachable Offense'

Better to let the House investigate everything under the sun and let Trump suffer the “1000 Cuts” fate. Let him twist in the bitter wind for the rest of his lame term. Impeachment is just dry powder to be preserved for when the time is right.

Agreed… but for some reason, I read this comment in a Montgomery Burns accent.

If?!?

3 Likes

I read this story earlier.

But some allies fret that the president’s coalition could crack apart under the growing pressure. Stephen K. Bannon, the former Trump strategist who helped him navigate the most arduous phase of his 2016 campaign, predicted 2019 would be a year of “siege warfare” and cast the president’s inner circle as naively optimistic and unsophisticated.

“The Democrats are going to weaponize the Mueller report and the president needs a team that can go to the mattresses,” Bannon said. “The president can’t trust the GOP to be there when it counts . . . They don’t feel any sense of duty or responsibility to stand with Trump.”

2 Likes

Have another swig out of the flask, Stevie.

2 Likes

This belief is what we obsess on daily. And any number of cures are offered. And any number of aspects of belief that we Dems are in a position to do anything about it. I for one will never say we’re going to be prevented from doing the right thing.

3 Likes

The corollary is, would at least 30% of Republicans in the house support impeachment. You can’t guess precisely what the Senators would do, but if impeachment were supported by at least 30% of Republican house members it is plausible that the Senate would vote to convict.

I don’t believe that would ever occur in the house, but is nonetheless the # I would be shooting for before considering Impeachment proceedings. Personally I prefer that he is voted out of office rather than impeached.

3 Likes

Personally I would like to see him resign and I have every reason to believe that once all the reports and so forth are out there that he would do it for the right deal.

1 Like

What is the foot pounds of torque required for impeachment ?

1 Like

Some GOP senators were particularly shaken by this week’s revelation that former national security adviser Michael Flynn had met with Mueller’s team 19 separate times — a distressing signal to them that the probe may be more serious than they had been led to assume, according to senior Republican officials.

People around trumpp probably want to help bring trumpp down but can’t be identified as wanting to do so. And they’re ready to break on Manafort, MBS, and of course Flynn.

Rep. Eric Swalwell (Calif.), “Our job is to protect the investigation from the president — whether it’s firing Mueller, intimidating witnesses or obstructing the investigation.”

Bannon understands exactly what’s going on around trumpp.

3 Likes

I was asking yesterday where is the R Goldwater who’ll be the first to say to Fat Nixon it’s time to go. When Goldwater stepped up, Nixon resigned just a few weeks later. @mattinpa suggested that the spawn and son-in-law could be this generation’s Goldwater in order to save their asses. He could be right.

2 Likes

The problem is their can’t be a deal. It’s not a like prosecution, either he is impeached or is not impeached. It’s a zero sum game. he would only resign if he believed Republicans in Congress were actually going to turn on him.

Now after he leaves office their is a whole new world. He will be totally vulnerable in state courts, even a new President can’t Pardon him from State crimes and New York has some of the most far reaching state statutes dealing with illegal financial transactions.

3 Likes

Hold on a sec…

7 Likes

Especially with pin-head Gowdy yapping and trying to act intelligent, the republicant’s will turn this into the Benghazi Trilogy.

2 Likes

Are saying that if 30% of Rs in the House voted to impeach it would be a sign to R senators they could do vote to convict without fear of reprisal? But we’ll have 235 Ds in the House and 218 are need to vote and pass a bill of impeachment.

Perfect.

2 Likes

He could be offered a deal on the post presidential charges. He could be offered a deal for one of his kids. There are 3 federal courts and at least 1 state court involved in all of this so far.

4 Likes

You, Tena, Plucky and some others (whom you all know) are among a select group of people who articulate what you want and do not pre-event-squelch the hoped-for outcome.

My Dad was in Normandy 1944 (D plus One) and once told me that the pre-event-squelch approach would have resulted in no one leaving the troop transports–or C-47s.

Maybe some time in a country** with far less rights and in which people have about 10% of resources and political infrastructure would get the pre-event-squelchers to verbally stick their necks out…

Like you, Tena and Plucky do.

After all…the only thing all of you have lost is yawning off a bunch of energy-draining cynics

And trolls.

• A documentary of Congo is being shown these days on cable
2 Likes

You never know with Donald. His instinct and modus are to hang in and attack.

Don’t forget Ben Webster and Dexter Gordon and Lester Young…

1 Like

Word.

Did you say that you were a trombonist?

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available