Discussion: Mueller And House Dems Tussle Over Terms Of His Testimony

A very large part of what swayed public opinion during Watergate was televised hearings. That gets lost with transcripts released weeks or months later.

1 Like

If true, then he should be even more eager to testify. Nor can I think of anything that legally bars him from doing so. But he’s balking. Can you explain that?

2 Likes

He’s done. His job is over. Why he’s even still on the .gov payroll I have no idea. Unless he’s doing something we’re not being told about. He already has his Federal retirement from his years at DOJ/FBI, plus military, etc. So, McCabe’s fate is not remotely in the cards.

3 Likes

Comey was doing his job the best way he could. We have never had a presidential election where one candidate has had long ties to a foreign adversary through a variety of Russian oligarchs and banks.And that government was staging a social media and computer hacking attack on voters. The FBI and CIA knew that Trump’s business, family members and advisers were still in constant contact with their Russian associates throughout the campaign, transition and into the early days of the administration.

Comey was navigating new waters. He was bound to make some mistakes. He felt the political pressure to explore all leads and accusations on both sides, so the Washington politicians wouldn’t hinder his agency from continuing their work gathering intel on Russian influence. He did what he could. .

But he could not be compromised by this president when Trump asked for loyalty over his responsibility to the Constitution and his country… Because of this, Comey lost his job and the career that he so loved. We may have lost a lot more if he hadn’t. It was his concerns that led to the special prosecutor.

It maybe that his firing will ultimately lead to this president’s impeachment. It surely will lead to Donald’s indictments in coming years. The evidence was collected and has now been shared with federal and state prosecutors where leads continue to be pursued concerning Russian interference in our elections… at least at the state level. Barr may have stopped the Feds from doing their jobs for now, but time and a change in administrations will free them again to do their jobs soon enough. This is Comey’s legacy.

Does he have any regrets? All G men do when they know they have the evidence but it can’t indict their man. Make that a Con Man in this case.

3 Likes

Or blackmailing. @castor_troy

1 Like

Very well said. It will be interesting to see what my toddler grandchildren will read in their history “books” about this era.

1 Like

So have Schiff, or his COS, or someone, get on the phone with Mueller’s counsel, who says “Subpoena my client”, Schiff says “OK”. No public drama. Problem solved.

My Fox-watching grandpa died 22 years ago. As for the current political situation, I can’t imagine anything going on that would make anyone the least bit anxious, can you?

Agree, but @moreyampersand’s point is very well taken. This is not a north-south issue; it’s urban-rural. Exhibit 1: Austin, TX. Exhibit 2: Paul LePage.

Hoo-boy, you need to start charging Senator Sanders rent for that space he’s occupying in your head. Not to mention your reflex arcs.

2 Likes

By all reasonable accounts, Individual-1’s finances are an integral part of how he was drawn into Putin’s and the oligarchs’ orbit. On what planet is that not part of the mandate?

And, sure, some of that may – or may not – be in any or all of those sealed spun-off investigations. The question is why they had to be spun off at all.

In fact, don’t I recall someone saying

Precisely. And other lines, too, like the boundaries of the Mueller mandate.

Yeah, about that…

All jokes about the Sovereign District of New York aside, those investigations, of course, are currently under the ultimate control of one William Pelham Barr, Attorney General of the United States Donald J. Trump. A spinoff might not be the best move in retrospect.

3 Likes

I think I’ll go grab some Bernout fauxgressive purity unicorn pony popcorn and continue to watch this show.

2 Likes

This is more helpful than hurling expletive-bombs against the people you are purportedly trying to reassure.

Come across as political?

Jesus! You’re 74-years old! Do you think anyone is going to give a shit?

3 Likes

I agree. It’s high time for Moses to come down from the mountain and answer the questions posed by the representatives of the people who have been paying his salary for more than two years. The time for silence is past.

3 Likes

We are sick of this. He should sit down and publicly testify, period!

Interesting quick mention in the Ramos ruling about the Deutsche Bank and Capital One case just handed down a few minutes ago which dovetails to what I was speculating on regrind ongoing investigations surrounding his finances the SCO spun off and seem to be ongoing:

1 Like

I really want to read that opinion. Unlike Judge Mehta’s, TPM didn’t see fit to post it. Have you seen it anywhere?

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available