Discussion: Mormon Voters' Antipathy Toward Trump Has Roots In The Church's Own History

1 Like

“Is anyone here from Utah? … I didn’t think so. We’re having a problem,” Trump said.

He insulted Mormons when talking to evangelicals last week. That should help.

8 Likes

I have acquaintances that are Mormon… I’ve witnessed numerous comments by them on the amount of lies Trump utters as being an in your face deal breaker.

8 Likes

Not to mention that Trump is a thrice married adulterer who bragged about sleeping with married women and equated not getting an STD to combat service in Vietnam.

8 Likes

I think you meant “shoot on sight.” Sorry to be that guy.

2 Likes

He’ll do much better once he announces his belated support for Mountain Meadows. “It was tremendous what they did,” he’ll say. “Really classy. Believe me.”

3 Likes

That would be the first evidence I’ve read that there’s a right-leaning religious group out there publicly troubled by his outrageously obvious and insanely constant lying. The evangelicals, outside of certain of their leaders, seemed to collectively shrug about it. Pobody’s nerfect, amirite? Blah blah Supreme Court Sarajevo e-mails etc. Decades of posturing over who’s godly and when it comes to a clear choice we see what they’re made of. Anyway good for those Mormons.

10 Likes

Even with all that they’ll still vote for the SOB.

5 Likes

The evangelicals, outside of certain of their leaders, seemed to collectively shrug about it.

I mean, what bothers you more, what Trump says or what Hillary did, amirite? :unamused:

One species of loony dislikes another. Very encouraging.

1 Like

Don’t the 'rollers deserve praise for transcending affinity politics? Instead of voting for someone who is merely like them, or pretends to be, they’re lining up behind the guy who will trade them favors.

It would be hard for Mormons to support the guy who publicly calls for the same kind of treatment for Muslims as the Mormons themselves received for many, many years and still do to some degree. At least many Mormons understand that fact.

5 Likes

Mormons be like, our history is that of a persecuted religious minority…….that’s why we didn’t allow people of African descent to join the church until the 70’s and didn’t repudiate the doctrine that dark skin is a curse until 2013……

oh poor Mormons

11 Likes

I’m shocked that The Donald’s piety and the depth and breadth of his religious convictions haven made the Mormons as devoted to Rightie lunatics’ Hairball Messiah as it has to the TEAlibangelicals. His relationship with “…two Corinthians” demonstrate how “…special the bible is. It’s the most special book.”

Better be careful Moronites’…Trump may wall off Utah until he can arrange to ship you all back to Kolob.

http://img.wonkette.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/trump-howdy.jpg

3 Likes

They were essentially chased out of Ohio, out of Illinois, out of Missouri. They know in 1838 the governor of Missouri ordered an executive order that you could practically murder Mormons on site."

A lot of good christian terrorist in those states that have turned their sights on Muslims now that they’ve purged Mormons.

1 Like

It doesn’t help that Trump is so foul mouthed either. There is a video of a speech he gave with a ton of “MFer” this and “MFer” that comments. It is offensive to anyone – but particularly here in Utah.

2 Likes

If you have paid any attention to Hillary’s comments concerning Utah you will discover that to a certain extent she is embracing Mormon themes of family and hard work. I think she actually has a chance. If not her then Gary Johnson. Mr. Drumpf not so much. He reminds Mormans of the Christians who persecuted them in Ohio, Missouri and Illinois.

By the way, the phrase is “shoot on sight” not “shoot on site.”

A lot of people are convinced nothing happened between the Revolution and the Civil War except Lewis and Clark and the Alamo. Wrong. There was a lot going on in America. Missouri Executive Order 44, also known as the Extermination Order had real consequences. It lead to the founding of Utah. The history of the Mormons in the old west is really fascinating.

2 Likes

Mormon history? No, that’s not it. Mormons don’t like Drumpf because he’s uncouth, dishonest, a serial cheater and has been married 3 times.

2 Likes

These are the same Mormons who brought us Prop 8 and waves of gay bashing.

Don’t be fooled. All this happy immigrant talk is solely about expanding their cult.

3 Likes

Married only three times? What upsets some Mormans about Drumpf is not that he married three times, it is he abandoned his first two wives. They should all be living in one big household. Ivana, Marla & Melania should be sister/wives.

2 Likes