Discussion: Militia Whose Leader Was Arrested Evicted From New Mexico Campsite

Union Pacific RR cuts ties with Nazis.

4 Likes

If Shakespeare had written Trump, it would be Caliban as a horrid Lear.

The Bard would have crushed Dotard.

4 Likes

So the militia that doesn’t want people coming over where “they don’t belong” is illegally camping out on property where they don’t belong. Got it.

11 Likes

In an affidavit, the FBI said it had become aware in late 2017 that Hopkins “allegedly made the statement that the United Constitutional Patriots were training to assassinate George Soros, Hillary Clinton, and Barack Obama, because of these individuals’ support of Antifa.”

Learned of threat in 2017, action taken to remove threat Spring 2019.

Good thing the threat was slow moving. :smirk:

Also for the love of Gahhdess if you’re going to use your phone to record video would you please rotate it? #nothard

5 Likes

“Love all, trust a few, and do wrong to none.”

6 Likes

It’s such an interesting question. I remember thinking a long time ago that Trump would not be a good literary subject because he’s fundamentally uninteresting. He reacts exactly the same way to a given stimulus every single time. And he’s a dullard; his inner life is just a dreary cesspool. How much time would anyone want to spend with him? Five minutes would be an interminable hell. If you were in an asbestos rowboat on a sea of lava for those five minutes you’d jump out before enduring a sixth.

I think the most relevant play is Macbeth, not because Macbeth resembles Trump at all, but because the inexorable unraveling seems to be playing out the same way. Starting out with a regicide makes you think this is bound not to go well, and with every scene it starts to go a little unweller. The mood of doom, the foreshadowing, just grows and grows. And finally the messenger comes, and says, “I looked toward Birnam, and anon methought/ The wood began to move.” And Macbeth, realizing how much he’s been deceived, bursts out, “Liar and slave!” It’s just like Trump saying, “I’m fucked,” but of course with an intelligent, articulate villain in his place.

11 Likes

When a railroad tells you to get off their land, you vamoose. The fines for trespassing make a NYC parking ticket look like a love note.

8 Likes

I wonder how many times they have found a small group of people in a very remote area and decided not to bring them in…it would not surprise me if some of these guys fantasize about having the opportunity to “defend” the nation against “invaders”. Border Patrol should have shut them down immediately, having what is essentially a posse running around armed the teeth and following racist ideology mixed in with desperate asylum seekers is just asking for trouble.

6 Likes

Great analysis. The growing dark weight in Macbeth is definitely the arc here in the Trump era at least for sane and caring folks. Shakespeare would have had Trump as some Richard III type, except he would be in and out, creating the matrix for the stupidity and callousness of the courtiers (Jared, Miller, Pence, et al). A comedy of dark and deadly errors, without much recourse.
“A whore! A whore! My kingdom for a whore !!!”
(my apologies, Sir Will, and Happy Birthday. :birthday:)

4 Likes

Were any dogs harmed by the loud and sustained whining of the Militiaboys when they had their fat asses kicked off private property?

1 Like

Oh, Richard III for sure. How many people would come to Trump in his dreams, accuse him of his crimes, and say, “Despair, and die!” :laughing:

1 Like

If I had to apply Shakespeare to the Whiner in the White House. I would suggest Polonius from Hamlet. The old windbag

But I think Dickens is much better. I mean, Podsnap from ‘Our Mutual Friend’ encapsulates the entire Whiny Administration.

3 Likes

It’s also his death day.

1 Like

After seeing some of them in the pictures, Falstaff was all that came to mind.

2 Likes

Libation??? TPM commentators drink only water.
We are a sober crew.

3 Likes

Who’s MacDuff?
Hope we find out soon.

“They’re going to try to find some piece of private property to move onto so that they’re not at the whims of the local officials.”

Um, they were being evicted from “private property.”

8 Likes

Wikipedia (forgive me) lists today (April 23) as the day Will died in 1616. They don’t actually list a “birth date” but say he was baptised on April 26, 1564. Which means, for all practical purposes, that we get to celebrate TWICE this week! Thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

I’m guessing that New Mexico police may have been reluctant to go after these guys, after the massive negative and national attention the state got when Albuquerque police shot and killed a developmentally-disabled guy who was illegally camping in the Sandias. Also, these wacky militia guys were armed and in large numbers.

This is sad. They should be coaching little league so they can vent their impotent rage at little kids who don’t know any better, not harassing refugees in the desert. Seriously, what a waste of manpower from guys who obviously have free time and the desire to make a difference.

Hollywood is to blame for this, raising several generations of white dudes to believe that Rugged Individualism and Guns are what tamed America. John Wayne and Dirty Harry never shot anyone who didn’t deserve to be shot. You just have to believe someone is a bad guy and you’re right.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available