Discussion: Medicaid Directors From Red And Blue States Reject Graham-Cassidy Repeal

She’s the sensitive kind (means well).

It’s personal to Jimmy. He’s mad as hell.

6 Likes

Everyone look…see this clearly.

The moderate Democrats on the board can’t hack it. They don’t have answers, just more tax cuts for the rich. Less regulations for the banks.

They just want us to shut up and vote for any corporate sellout with a D next to their name so they can have their parade and pat themselves on the back…yaaaaay we won!

Remember this was teh exact behaviour of the DNC in regard to Sanders campaign. Couldn’t deal with the substance. Just wanted to shut it down. Do as we say. Vote as we say.

Not surprising. The GOP will still move forward with it anyway considering how this is their last chance to pass it with only a simple majority and they need SOME kind of victory, even if it’s a Pyrrhic one.

Gotta say, I like the accompanying photo at top of Bill Cassidy pinching the bridge of his nose, like he’s just waiting for the bad to start.

Where can I find these postings of moderate Democrats at TPM supporting tax cuts for the rich and less regulation of banks? I have been reading Josh and the Blog for years, but admit that I have only been reading and adding to the comments since the election. In that time frame, I have never read advocacy such as that outside of the UKie poster.

From a different board where I have particpated since 2002, I have seen such divisions rise up after each primary season (Kerry vs Deaniacs vs Clarkbars; Pumas vs Obamanuts) and the current divide. The thing is - that such broad sweeps to characterize the other side isn’t helpful, doesn’t help find joint cause. At least that is what I found elsewhere.

I admit I am newer to posting here - so maybe the general public dynamics are different here. But I rather doubt it.

6 Likes

Oh you can read the myriad comments defending the Democratic pols who support those things here at TPM…elbow grease. Keep looking Sherlock.

Sorry. Missed that.

1 Like

thanx, I added some sweet vermouth too.

As much as I hate to mix it up with you when you are on such a tear, can I ask who among us is calling for tax cuts for the rich, or less regulations for the banks?

And, per your earlier post, who among us has said the banks did nothing wrong?

I get it, you’re mad at where we’re at – we all are. But if you want things to improve, get more Democrats elected. Don’t beat up on fellow Democrats.

5 Likes

Oh look, it’s the “rap defense”.

I was driving with a couple of my local kinfolk one time, and we passed a recently opened tourist trap called something like “Hillbilly Hollow”. Across the top of the façade was a big cut out of a reclining, banjo-playing hillbilly - straw hat, ragged-at-the-bottom overalls, huge cartoon bare feet, piece of straw held in the mouth. One of them snorted in disgust and said we don’t see black people calling their business N****r Acres and decorating their signs with watermelons and folk in blackface. The other said, well, you know the folk who run that place are from Chicago.

(For those who don’t know, the Ozarks were full of retired/vacationing city people from the upper Midwest who wanted to get away from blah folk; they tended to be disdainful of the locals too. Obviously not everyone; it is within a day’s drive and it’s beautiful country. Anyway, when we were kids we called Silver Dollar City “Whitey-world”.)

1 Like

I agree with everything you said, but I have an equal share of anger towards moderates in our party. I remember for decades being told that the hippies needed to be kept away from power because WE JUST DIDN’T GET IT. Meanwhile how many Dems voted for Iraq, trickle down and bank deregulation?

We got it…do they finally get it now? These people are evil.

Yes, it’s all the fault of the pony-wanting purists! Meanwhile, the “adults” went on to lose over 1000 electoral offices, the majority of state governments, the House, the Senate, the White House and the Supreme Court, while flushing the Democratic Party brand down the toilet on the way to personal riches. I guess Wall Street got its money’s worth!

1 Like

Murder by legislative means.

2 Likes

That’s not the Republican Party goal, though.

2 Likes

How about we keep on topic and quit the intra-party navel gazing and back-biting.

7 Likes

So did Steve Mnuchin…just ask Kamala Harris, or all those homeowners who were foreclosed illegally in CA.

1 Like

Republicans reviewing the gawd forsaken Medicaid issue . . .

I’m going to a Joni Ernst town hall in about 2 hours. Here is what I want to say, although it is unlikely I will get the chance.

I have two questions, one for you and one for Chuck Grassley. But he hasn’t done a public meeting in this county in 6 years. What’s he afraid of, that we’ll give him the “Full Grassley?” Just yesterday, he described the new health care bill, “…I could give you ten reasons why this bill shouldn’t be considered, but Republicans campaign on this so often that you have a responsibility to carry out what you said in the campaign. That’s pretty much, as much of a reason as the substance of the bill.” He’s more interested in party politics, more interested in Hillary Clinton’s emails than a President that committed treason by collaborating with the Russians.

But I am going to assume you won’t put party politics over the interests of your constituents. And here in Iowa, we have already seen how party politics changed health care. When Gov. Branstad was elected, his #1 goal was to tear down IowaCare. Over 150k people were kicked off IowaCare and told to reapply for Medicaid or go on the ACA exchange. He called it “Medicaid Expansion” but it was really Medicaid Contraction. He did this deliberately as revenge, to destroy the IowaCare system created by Tom Vilsack, who beat him in the 1998 election.

I was poor enough that I was right at the borderline of coverage, so both Medicaid and the Exchange refused to cover me. I fought with them for 6 months, during which time I had no access to medications or any health care. One of the Iowa Medicaid agents said, “oh you’re a ‘Looper,’ you’re getting kicked back and forth and neither system will cover you.” Finally I got the Exchange to cover me. I got an ACA subsidy and bought health insurance, which made me poorer than ever. Then, 6 months later, Medicaid sent me a letter, oh you were right, you were covered all along, we retroactively covered you so now you can apply to get your insurance payments back!"

So now I’m on Medicaid. But Iowans already have experience on how this Republican system works. Brandstad subcontracted the perfectly adequate Medicaid system out to private insurance companies like Anthem. Now I am getting letters from THEIR sub-subcontractors, refusing to refill prescriptions that I’ve had covered for years. And I can’t see one of my providers, her group practice was covered by my Anthem/Amerigroup MCO but she moved to a private practice. She submitted the paperwork a year ago, but can’t get approved by Amerigroup, so I haven’t had an office visit in a YEAR. I’ll have to find a new provider, or switch MCOs.

Iowans know how this Republican health plan is going to work. They’ll give states a block grant, the governors will call it “health care expansion” and use it to reduce services. People with preexisting conditions like me will have no coverage, because the Federal Government won’t require it. Everyone’s coverage will be reduced because they can’t afford it. People will die. And you’ll blame “Obamacare.” You already wrecked the ACA because the insurance companies don’t know what’s going to happen. I’m asking you to commit to FIXING the ACA. That’s what people want. It’s not what the Republican Party wants, but you are responsible to your constituents, not Chuck Grassley and Mitch McConnell. Please help us save our health care.

13 Likes

And it Shud be Should, too.

Let us know how it goes…

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available