Discussion: McGahn: 'Unlike Some' I Won't Do Paid Speeches, Books Post-WH, Just Practice Law

“I’m just going to practice law. No paid corporate speeches and no books, unlike some others who have worked in the White House.”

Bookmarking (on behalf of @inversion).

3 Likes

Thanks

2 Likes

Unlike Some’ I Won’t Do Paid Speeches, Books Post-WH

How about doing some unpaid testimony?

2 Likes

They were, of course, very much his accomplishments. Especially Boofer Bart. They are exactly why he was in that office.

May the stench of your accomplishments haunt you all the rest of your days, Doug.

Hmmm… ir’s unsourced Wikipedia, so take with as much salt as you like, but fwiw, this caught my eye:

The scope of the attorney–client privilege between the Counsel and the President, applies to official and not strictly personal matters. It also does not apply to legislative proceedings by the U.S. Congress against a President due to allegations of misconduct while in office, such as formal censures or impeachment proceedings.

@someguy

McGahn’s attorney-client relationship was with The Office of the President, currently occupied by DJT. McGahn would have a/c with the President as to official matters but not personal matters. So that’s correct. But it’s a bit blurry at times here, I’m sure. The things that McGahn communicated with the President about are almost by definition official matters. McGahn wouldn’t be communicating or giving legal advice w/re DJT’s potential criminal liability for actions taken prior to his election. So he wouldn’t really have a basis for writing a book or giving speeches about that stuff anyway. As for a/c not applying to legislative proceedings about official acts, I’m not sure about that, but it’s a different issue from the subject of McGahn’s statement, which just had to do with writing books and giving speeches.

1 Like

I saw another article later that did present a more nuanced view of ACP than what’s presented in the unsourced Wikipedia… and, as I think about it, at least in normal criminal investigations, the ACP obviously applies (subject to the usual exceptions). Thanks for the additional context.

1 Like