Discussion: McConnell Not Offering Trump Much Help On Emergency Declaration Vote

1 Like

Cornyn - “…he said he expected McConnell to let members “vote their conscience” on the resolution.”

Imagine that.

31 Likes

If Yertle wants to hide in his shell on this one, I’m not going to beat the drums of shameless hypocrisy. The less power he attempts to wield, the better. Maybe, just maybe, a few of his colleagues will remember that they actually swore an oath to do their jobs.

21 Likes

If he isn’t going to whip the vote, the resolution will pass in the Senate. The issue will be can they override Trump’s veto.

When this gets to the Supreme Court it is going to be interesting.

7 Likes

Why would they want to tie themselves to Trump, who is going to be a weight around their necks in Nov. 2020?

9 Likes

Let me rewrite that for Cornyn to reflect what is really doing on; " McConnell will let members vote which ever way they feel will do them the least damage in their future reelection campaigns"

Whatever you think of McConnell, he (a) knows this hurts the party, and may cost him seats in 2020 and beyond, including increasing his personal risk (especially assuming that Paul does the honorable thing), and (b) hurts how history will view him.

19 Likes

That McConnell won’t try to get ahead of this vote tells me he’s uncertain of the outcome and is hedging his bets.

12 Likes

How I wish that McTurtle glanced out his office window and spied an OSCer walking toward the building with a thick briefcase…headed in his general direction.

How we forget…the Ukraine shift during the RNC Convention…McTurtle’s going against Obama on Russia in summer 2016…

18 Likes

Republicans have consciences? Since when?

21 Likes

Time to rally the racists!

2 Likes

If it passes both and overrides his veto, then goes to the SCOTUS, I will say right now that there is no way SCOTUS will overturn the vote. No fucking way. And I don’t make absolute predictions or any kind of predictions very often.

16 Likes

Because their rank and file GOP constituencies demand it.
Senators don’t care about national-level polls.
If you’re a senator from a state like Idaho, Mississippi, West Virginia voting against Trump would be the danger.

6 Likes

If we could tighten McConnell’s tie just a little bit more, a few problems would be resolved.

13 Likes

:laughing:

2 Likes

“You made me admit defeat to Schumer! Do you have any idea how much the woman made fun of me? I will never forgive you for that!”

keep crying, Mitch

2 Likes

If the Congress overrides the Veto it will be over and won’t go to the Supreme Court.

9 Likes

I think he knows there’s a good chance it will pass but there won’t be enough votes to overturn a veto. He might as well let it go at this point so that people in his party who want to “vote their conscience” or are under pressure from their constituents can tell themselves and/or voters that they “did the right thing,” since the veto will ensure that the resolution will ultimately fail.

7 Likes

If “few” is 4-5, then yes. But already some folks who I thought might demonstate some integrity (someone like Chuck Grassley) appears not to be. Will be interesting to see how Barr (R, N.C.) votes…

1 Like

Right.

If it doesn’t go that far in Congress and ends up there, I still predict they will not let him violate the Separation of Powers.

7 Likes

What if there’s a spelling error and they accidentally veto teh vote or vote for teh veto?
:sunglasses:

4 Likes