Discussion: McConnell: First Bill In GOP Senate Will Be To Approve Keystone Pipeline

Discussion for article #231260

Fossil fuels are on the way out.

I’ve been researching the phenomenal gains in solar power technology and we’ll be able to rely on solar power for 100% of our energy within 15 years. The Koch brothers are profiting from a technology that is for all intents and purposes, dead.

5 Likes

fuck mcconnell.

5 Likes

I can see the bipartisanship from my house.

3 Likes

Suuuure McTurtle, because with gas prices low and the cost of a barrel of oil plummeting these days, the whole fucking thing is so absolutely unnecessary for the country now. Stick to defending dirty KY coal, asshole. And btw, its never been about jobs. We don’t need it and it is 3x’s more carbon-producing intensive to get that heavy sludge oil out of the ground, increasing man-made climate change at an ridiculous rate.

I hope the President announces the day before they bring up this nutty divisive bill, that he’s made up his mind based on the best information available, that the entire Keystone is an absolute no-go…not on his watch at least. Its his decision anyway. And if a bill comes his way, he can always veto the damn thing without losing the support of any of his Democratic base, who he’ll truly need in his corner over the next two years, while weak-kneed and likely to be disgraced Dems in Congress slowly capitulate to Republican demands. This has always been a Republican dirty energy give-away. It profits and helps no one except their rich donors who expect to get their payday from giving to all those low-down dirty campaigns. And Mary Landrieu is already toast, so she’s no longer a factor either.

Plus, they already screwed over one Native American tribe with the CRapnibus bill. The Keystone bill would take over land rights controlled by a different tribal community and they’ve said they want no such thing going through their land. I say we need to respect that.

17 Likes

Maybe he can waste time passing the same thing 40+ times like the House did with repealing Obamacare. And Obama can veto it.

17 Likes

At least we can hope they will waste the Senates time on this crap and not work on screwing us in other ways.

5 Likes

So it will pass in the Senate. No biggie. Market economics will be the real driver of this project and right now, things are looking sour in Oil Land. Russia and Venezuela are really feeling the pinch with the price declines. The markets don’t care for that much turmoil.

From a recent Barron’s article:
"A piece in the New Yorker, by respected business writer James Surowiecki, argues that the world has entered a new era of bigger volatility when it comes to oil and other commodities. …‘The real story of the past few months isn’t that oil prices have fallen; it’s that they’ve fallen so far so fast, and that they may still have a long way to go before hitting bottom,’ writes Surowiecki. ‘That suggests that the stability of the past few years has yielded to a new era of volatility, in which small changes in supply and demand will lead to big price swings.’ "

8 Likes

Gotta pump some of that $80 oil down to the refineries that can buy it elsewhere for $50.

4 Likes

If the price of crude keeps coming down, not even TransCanada will want this pipeline built: it’ll be too expensive to extract the tar sands to make it profitable, even over a multiyear time frame.

4 Likes

First, do the bankers’ bidding. Check. Next, do the oil companies’ bidding. Check. Next up: screwing poor people…

2 Likes

So will the Terrapin fund FEMA for when the pipe leaks and the EPA when the Ogallala aquifer is contaminated?
((crickets))

2 Likes

I thought it was never meant for our refineries, it was purely an export pipeline. It was being sent down there to be shipped elsewhere.

5 Likes

I really hope the president gets some super cool veto stamp and makes a big show of vetoing Republican bills. As much as I can’t stand Brian Schweitzer, I really did enjoy watching him use that big brand to veto stupid, Republican legislation.

7 Likes

Actually when the pipeline leaks over some very fertile farmland, and/or contaminates the water supply for several Red states, I won’t be able to resist enjoying the ensuing blame-fest. This is one that Steve King won’t be able to blame on Latino drug mules.

5 Likes

anyone think they get enough votes to make it veto proof?

No thanks…

1 Like

Let’s design a really cool stamp for President O…

Veto Coreleone

St Vetos Dance

InnaGaddaDeVeto, Honey

3 Likes

hahahaa

Keystone cannot be approved by legislation. McConnell knows this and is throwing them a symbolic bone.

4 Likes

so its more repub pin the tale on the donkey way of governing.

1 Like