Discussion: McAuliffe: Instinctively, You Know If You Put Black Paint On Your Face'

1 Like

Happy black history month!

12 Likes

Jim Crow flies again…

7 Likes

T-Mac is doing what he needs to do. When are we going to take this same fight to the GOP and force them to get rid of their racists and misogynists?

12 Likes

If it was Northam the other person in the photo should come out and say so. No excuses for Northam if it was him for sure. What I think happened is he saw the photo, it was on his personal page in the yearbook and people were clamoring for him to say something. He said it was him in the picture, but would not say if he was in blackface or under the hood. That is surprising to me if you admit you were in the picture not to know which one you were. Maybe he thought admitting it and apologizing was easier than fighting it since it was on his personal yearbook page. Just saying. But after talking with his wife and others he decided to fight it instead. But I do know one thing he now has to prove he wasn’t in the picture and the pressure is on him so much to resign, he only has a short span of time to do it.

2 Likes

“Instinctively, you know if you put black paint on your face.” I am guessing he did not have a misspent youth. Pretty sure there were times I could have had a rhinoceros on my face and not noticed.

4 Likes

Spitzer won’t resign; claims ‘honest conversation’ about prostitution and infidelity only possible if he stays governor”…

5 Likes

day late Dollar short Northam
You already did this.

7 Likes

If there was a script a person could buy for a situation like this entitled:

How To Fuck This Up

He must have bought it plus copies

9 Likes

Well, just perhaps, the other person in the photo doesn’t really want to be recognized either. I mean whoever it is is either in blackface or dressed like a Klansman.

14 Likes

He must have thought that he was the governor of Virginia in 1919!!

4 Likes

Maybe I’m old fashioned, but I come to expect a certain level of intelligence, honor, and discretion from a medical doctor. Was this a Trump University Medical Skool?

14 Likes

What would Kirsten Gillibrand do?

4 Likes

Is there anyone world that isn’t guilty of something in there whole life?
Racism, lying, cheating, speeding, drugs, alcohol ,morals, ethics, stealing, deception ?
anyone?
If there is, they missed out on living.
If this is the baseline we are going to live by now, we are screwed.
Besides, don’t we all get the chance to be forgiven at the pearly gates so we can get in when the time comes?
Humans are just 1 click from being an animal and we are suppose to be the educated ones no less. lol

5 Likes

I always thought it was standard practice for campaigns to, in a sense, do opposition research on their own candidate so that they can be prepared for things like this. It’s hard to imagine that in 2017, no one would have thought to check something as obvious as his school yearbooks.

10 Likes

I like Kirsten, but the whole thing with Franken underscores why some Dems give her an ‘eye roll’. She takes a stand on Franken. It’s defensible. However, we’re not taking that same stand against Trump, who is unfit, a clear and present danger to US national security, has been identified as a unindicted co-conspirator in 2 federal crimes, failed the people of PR b/c of racism, and has a rap sheet a mile long that is worthy of impeachment.

When all of this was pointed out to her, she belatedly said Trump should resign because of sexual harassment. This makes our standards ring a bit ‘hollow’ to a number of Dems. We’re willing to go to the mattresses to police our own, but are a bit more cautious and timid when dealing with the other side. If we enforce one standard for blue America and not do it for red America simply because it’s harder to do as the GOP is stubborn and can politically hunker down, we’ve created a double standard in effect. Two countries existing under 1 roof.

Maxine Waters is really the only person I can think of in the Democratic caucus who grasps this. Trump was never fit from day 1. He shouldn’t be President today. Bring the same fire against Trump that we’re doing to Ralph Northam and that will make more sense to me.

24 Likes

I must confess…that is baffling to me…what’s more, I have no snarky answer for it at this time :laughing:

1 Like

Well said…and people like Lerone Bennett, John Hope Franklin, Carter G. Woodson and W.E.B. Dubois know exactly why that is.

3 Likes

I’m going to step into the maelstrom one more time, not expecting to persuade anyone. But this sort of thing is not about who you are as a person. It’s about the different ways people perceive things. At the time, Northam I’m sure thought it was funny. But there are segments of the population for whom it’s intensely painful history that they’ll never see as funny and they’ll never look at Northam the same. It’s not that you can never make a mistake or be forgiven. Imagine a spouse cheats. Friends may forgive the cheater. They usually do. The injured spouse may well not. We don’t blame either for their reaction; they experience it differently. I think it’s the same here.

15 Likes

Do you mean to say that I am entitled to have basic standards for the behavior of elected officials only if I have achieved perfection myself?

5 Likes