Discussion: Mayor, Police Urge Calm Ahead Of Video Release

Discussion for article #243179

Incredibly sad situation. Outright lies from BOP over the past year, long history of Chicago cop problems. Now they seem to be timing the release of this as to conflict with pre-Thanksgiving prep to reduce possible protests. Can’t say I blame them if folks get to see more than the 16 seconds MSNBC sanitized for us.

7 Likes

The kid was obviously rendered harmless after the first shot. No reason for fifteen more, unless you just like watching people die.

13 Likes

Walking away with a knife in your hand is passive aggressive.

As our board expert on police procedure would tell us, that is “clearly looking for trouble.”

8 Likes

Unreal. Between this and the goings-on at Homan Square, Rahm is the most odious Democratic officeholder in America.

3 Likes

“He lunged at me.”
“He went for my gun.”
“He resisted arrest.”

7 Likes

“He threw a sidelong glance my way.”

8 Likes

If it wasn’t for the video, and if it wasn’t for the release of the video, and the possibility of violent response to the video, that cop would never have been charged. And therein lies a large part of the problem of policing in this country.

17 Likes

“He had Skittles!”

6 Likes

I was in fear of my life…

4 Likes

He mad eye contact. He didn’t make eye contact.

7 Likes

He was slow to comply. He made a sudden move.

7 Likes

I watched the whole thing and have no idea what was going on.
Whose dash cam were we watching?
Was he going to meet up with the others?
It seemed the kid was just walking in the middle of the street. If the dash cam car was going to the incident, what was going on in the mean time?

Edit: I forgot to ask, what the heck, not strong enough, why the F*** did they shoot him?

6 Likes

“They say Officer Jason Van Dyke opened fire from about 15 feet and kept shooting after the teen fell to the ground.”

There really is no just “saying.” I’d say that even by racist cops standards that is excessive and I’m surprised he wasn’t fired immediately and charged with. at a minimum, use of excessive force. The police department knew that at some point this would be a shit storm so why wouldn’t they at least a sense of self-preservation?

It will be interesting to learn what else this scum has been up to in his “career.”

I’d like to see charges brought up against the other officers involved since they just stood there.

5 Likes

The charge of first degree murder could be some monkey business by the prosecutor. The bar is so high the chance of a conviction is slim. Unless some lesser charges are included the cop will most likely walk free. I am suspicious.

12 Likes

Wow, worse than described, specially the little kick after all those shots…

4 Likes

He raised his hands in a threatening manner. His moved his hands toward his waistband.

4 Likes

Well, while Rahm has done next to nothing to rein in the cops, the problem goes back a long time. The city of Chicago has paid 521 million in police related settlements in the past decade alone, but some of that resulted from police actions predating Rahm’s administration.

4 Likes

At the time of the shooting, the police union maintained that the officer fired in fear for his life because the teen lunged at him and his partner with the knife.

Officer Trump and his partner, Officer Carson

11 Likes

My thought exactly.