Discussion: Max Mara Is Re-Releasing The Famous Nancy Pelosi Coat

Yeah she blows my mind in that respect.

3 Likes

And raised 5 children on top of it all. She’s phenomenal.

5 Likes

It’s not frugal. It’s a good investment and a smart investment. You get frugal with things like coats and they don’t last and you end up spending more for more coats that are cheap. Same with shoes and purses.

It’s smart to buy quality because it does last and in the long run it saves you money and you don’t look like you’re being frugal.

11 Likes

Yes, she has. She wore it to Obama’s Inauguration.

5 Likes

It depends on budget available to you, and on particular job that necessitates appropriate wardrobe.

3 Likes

I think we’re talking about an expensive garment being durable. She wore the coat at Obama’s inauguration in 2012 and likely has been wearing it far more than we’ve ever seen.

@jills

8 Likes

A few years ago Gloria Steinem, who is herself 80 (which freaks me out) said 70 was the new 50. So this is what 78 now looks like.

3 Likes

Thank you, this is my point.

. Who ever did this just made those Blood of the Innocents trees from the Vlad Tepes Holiday Design Studio bearable.

14 Likes

Ownage!

Pelosi’s coat, the “Nonna”, was last sold in 2013. Mara Max coats sell for $3000 to $4000 today. The coat probably cost somewhat less years ago. Her sunglasses are Armani. It’s no secret that Pelosi is wealthy, along with many other members of Congress. 265 members of Congress are millionaires.

To talk about Pelosi’s wealth is to invite all sorts of criticism, but she is wealthy and she also earns $193,000. a year, and will get a raise to $223,500. when she becomes Speaker. If I had it, I’d spend it.

However, 29 members of Congress (including Mark Warner D-VA worth $200M), 18 of them Republicans, are richer than she is and no one keeps tabs on their spending…

@junebug

7 Likes

The Madame Speaker! :wink:

2 Likes

Exactly. It should go in the care label instead, Tom Bihn style.

which is no small feat for an older woman.

3 Likes

Ummmm…did you mean 70 is the new 50…?

1 Like

I love how in a matter of a month Nancy Pelosi, just like that, has gone from teetering, embattled Speaker of the House manqué to mighty, once-again Queen of D.C. and surprise fashion arbiter!

6 Likes

Yup, the collar does it for me. But way out of my range too, sadly. I may spring for this, though:

6 Likes

I’m reminded of Atticus telling his kids that it’s probably best not to expect too much from human nature. Trump sat there and made a goddamn fool of himself as usual, and Pelosi tried to talk some sense to him, and now it’s like you said. She succeeds like success. For what it’s worth she’s a smart, tough operator. But a person’s reputation can fly around wildly because of the aforementioned human nature deal.

3 Likes

The Car Guys always said “It’s the cheap guy who pays the most.” I’ve spent money during my life on cars, fishing tackle, computers, photo gear, and musical instruments, and man, it’s true. Get quality stuff and you’ll be repaid. Buy schlock and you’ll pay and pay.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available