Discussion: Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan Announces He Has 'Very Advanced' Cancer

Discussion for article #237733

I am not a fan of Hogan politically but I wish him well.

9 Likes

You don’t have to be a political supporter to wish him the best. That’s gotta be hard, not even knowing anything was wrong with you.

4 Likes

Although it is counterintuitive, highly aggressive lymphoma is more likely to be curable.

By a coincidence, I have been working through the most recent Hematology-Oncology section of the Medical Knowledge Self-Assessment Program. (1)

Here is what they say about prognosis in lymphoma:

"When determining prognosis, lymphomas are classified into three groups (indolent, aggressive and highly aggressive)… Although indolent lymphoma… is treatable, it is incurable. Lymphoma-related deaths occur in most patients…

Aggressive and highly aggressive lymphomas are curable with combination chemotherapy."

The overall prognosis in aggressive lymphomas also depends on certain factors such as B-cell phenotypes, physical extent of disease, gene expression, age of patient, etc.

His relatively young age (59 years old) are good prognostic factors. I hope that the other prognostic factors are in his favor as well. I wish him luck…

  1. MKSAP 16 Online ISBN: 978-1-938245-12-1
    Copyright © 2013 American College of Physicians. All Rights Reserved.
    190 North Independence Mall West
    Philadelphia, PA 19106-1572
1 Like

Wish him well. Damn shame because he’s young.

Does anyone know about his Lt. Gov. Rutherford? Any positions, beliefs, etc?

Governor Hogan:

As a neighbor (Virginia), I would like to extend my well wishes for you, sir. My positive thoughts will be with you, as well as with your family and close friends as you enter this next chapter in life. Though not cancer, I, too, have battled several life-threatening conditions–still do–and I wish to give you hope for a positive outcome. Peace be with you and your family.

1 Like

I wish to extend my best regard to you sir. But this is the time to reflect on something bigger to try and make your state to have access to a better healthcare, providing all of the options in ACA and expansion to Medicaid.

3 Likes

I’m sorry to hear this. Three people that I have worked with over the years, albeit indirectly, have contracted non-Hodgkins lyphoma. The treatment can get pretty rough, but that’s true of most cancers. I wish him well.

That’s a tough challenge to face. I wish him well.

While I don’t agree with his party on much of anything, and likely disagree with his views on a number of issues, hopefully he will have a full and speedy recovery.

My father died of this same diagnosis. He was older than Hogan and the chemo was brutal. He only lived 5 months from diagnosis to death. I hope Hogan benefits from better therapies and younger age. And I say that as a Marylander who grieved his election last year. Sending strength to his family.

3 Likes

If the governor can keep working thru chemo I’ll be impressed. He may not understand it’s more than losing hair. I’m a cancer survivor. Treatment ,for any variety of cancer isn’t easy but some are tougher than others. For his cancer, treatment will be very tough.

1 Like

None of us ever know when we will get an unwanted diagnosis. I wish him well.

1 Like

As a Marylander, I observed his announcement to be an emotional one. I did not vote for him, but I do like him and see him as a good man and authentic leader who seems to be open to learning and adjusting positions as he learns. I’m on both sides of his issues - business and environment (Chesapeake Bay). I’d like to see more balance toward the environment side but have already benefited from his business decisions. At the end of the day, all of that is irrelevant for the man and his family who are facing a terrible diagnosis and treatment regimen for the foreseeable future. I’m sure the state will survive (we’ve survived worse), but I more sincerely hope that he survives and thrives at the other end of his treatment.

Cancer sucks. It’s an indiscriminate asshole.

2 Likes

Good health, best of luck, for you, Governor Hogan.

He was mostly upbeat at the news conference, joking that his odds of beating cancer were better than his chances were of beating his Democratic opponent as an underdog in last fall's election, or of repealing the state's so-called rain tax.

Not very funny, though. “My odds at beating cancer are better than beating the Democrats”!!!

I lack the perspective of Maryland residents. Equating the struggle with a disease with beating Democrats?

Again, I lack the perspective. Cancer is easier to beat than Democrats!

Poor man, my aunt’s cancer spread to her lymph nodes. She battled cancer for almost 13 years and died about 6 years ago (she was 64). It is strange, she really engaged life more fully after she learned it had spread to her lymph nodes (I was always exhausted after visiting with her) but the effects of it all were just terrible. I wish him as much comfort as he can get and hope he is surrounded by his loved ones. None of us were near my aunt but for the last 5 years my mom went down almost every weekend after working 70-80 hour weeks. That was a 7 hour trip in each direction. My aunt worked insane hours too at Penn State University in the international student department and it was really touching how many of the students she helped reached out after she died. What a terrible disease.

Cancer sucks. Hope he beats it.

Doesn’t matter what your political views are in this case. We’re pulling for him to checkmate this cancer!