Yeah, but to what charities? I see their phony education “foundation” will benefit!
You mean 10 x more than Trump SAYS he has, don’t you? Oh, the casinos we would build!
Trump says $10 billion other sources say $4.5 billion. I was using more reliable data than Trump’s mouth. Donnie has displayed a profound proclivity to exaggerate.
I must confess I missed the part about giving it away. Rush to judgement on my part. Apologies all around.
You’re also right though, it is a matter of perspective.
But there’s also this:
Bloomberg Business 2013
Even though Facebook (FB) reported $1.1 billion in pre-tax profits from U.S. operations in 2012, it will probably pay zero federal and state taxes—and even receive a federal tax refund of about $429 million—according to a Feb. 14 statement from Citizens for Tax Justice.
Edit to add: BTW, thanks for that.
OK OK, I’m not worthy. Missed the giving it away part. Rush to judgement. My apologies but there’s this from Bloomberg Business:
Even though Facebook (FB) reported $1.1 billion in pre-tax profits from U.S. operations in 2012, it will probably pay zero federal and state taxes—and even receive a federal tax refund of about $429 million—according to a Feb. 14 statement from Citizens for Tax Justice.
So … IMHO, he’s still a tax dodging prick!
I can’t believe you and I agree on something. He should follow in the footsteps of The Gates who at least are doing sensational things with their money - giving most of it away and will still have plenty to live on very nicely.
I am not saying this to brag but I do too and even though I am retired I am still planning to give at least $7,000 this year in donations - mostly to animal charities and charities that help animals all over the world and some to the charities that feed america. I have a very well to do sister (republican) who while generous with her family, never even considers giving to charity - her motto is charity begins at home and with her - it ends at home. She was mortified that I gave as much money as I do to charity.
Apologies accepted, and although giving what is a fraction of their wealth to a hospital may seem to not be enough, he and his wife did it with much gratitude from city leaders. The hospital is the one where first responders who are wounded are taken because of their burn unit. Facebook still sucks and IMHO is responsible for the anger and racism and homophobia we’re surrounded with. I’ll never be a fan, don’t have a FB page but what he and Chan did has to be recognized as “good works.”
His donation was very appreciated by the City and those who need the hospital services including wounded first responders because of its burn unit. Maybe it was a pittance but for the hospital’s needs it was deemed to be a magnanimous and generous donation. I’m no fan of Facebook or Zuckerberg himself, if you’re wondering. I have no FB page and never will. It’s vile, racist and survives on extremist rantings.
Thank you so much chammy. Thought you were coming to hammer me as well. I tell you, vicious attacks! Bombs were dropping as I rushed across the tarmac. I’m indebted to you forever! Well, for a few days anyway. Got myself in big trouble as I didn’t read the whole story. But then I realized I was right - you know - before I was wrong.
True, The Gates are in a class by themselves.
Basically, kid, that bicycle you wanted is going have to wait.
Things are a little tight, OK?
I think the old building will be for “outpatient use” eventually, but clearly because you’ve been treated successfully you understand how important SF General is to the City. Here’s a link tracking the progress of the building project, and the new name of the hospital is a mouthful: The Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital and Trauma Center. Somebody suggested it would be simpler to call it Facebook General.
You can be so charming when you want to be, can’t you That sentence quoted above made me howl
1% (what they’ll keep) amounts to around $450 million. Enough for the bike and prolly a few other things besides.
Moon Unit? Dweezle?
homage to papa Frank.
Taxes are supposed to go to help people, etc. So if he dodges them, but gives it to good causes, I really have no problem with that. If he dodges them to finance a sweat shop in China, not good.
There are wealthy people who do good with their money, and I have no problem with them getting tax advantages to do it. The Huntsman’s, Buffet, etc. They have been known to do lots of good. Trump? Not so much. He enjoys screwing people instead.
I’m no huge Zuck fan, and I don’t use Facebook. But I think what he is doing is a good thing. It should also be noted he is not just handing out a huge check for $45 bil. He has pledged to give it out over his lifetime, so it will be in increments, and indeed done strategically for taxes, etc. (which is fine). Like when you get a $10 mil settlement in a damages suit, it’s spread over time, you don’t just get one check.
True “giving” doesn’t require some type of recognition every time one does it —
How does this actually work? He can’t actually donate money without selling stock and he can’t sell his stock without losing control of this company that he says he intends to run for a long time.
LOL. He is spreading the wealth at Eisenhower era tax rates. He’s just doing it where he wants to. I guess that makes him an asshole.
If only we all had the conundrum of where and whom to give our $45 bil to.
Personally, I’m fretting over which charity will get my couple a hundred bucks and how to disperse Daddy’s kindness evenly amongst my children.
I give mostly of myself, and that counts. Charity isn’t just writing a check, help your neighbor, be kind randomly, give yourself because it feels good and helps others and because, damned if it doesn’t work-it comes right back at ya.