Discussion: Mark Halperin Gins Up More 2016 Buzz For Someone Else Who Probably Won't Run For President

Halperin appears regularly on “Morning Joe” just to make the two hosts seem even smarter than he is. He’s like Bill Kristol’s younger brother.

2 Likes

“I want to know why this is even taking space on TPM? This is just pure bullshit.”

Yeah, I get that frustration, however… It’s a slow news day before a holiday weekend. Also, it’s not like TPM is limited by space, especially when it comes to their livewire. Space is kind of relatively unlimited on the internet. Let this article sit where it is, garner some page views, solicit some snarky comments from people ready to start their weekend, and then we can all forget about it before dinner.

Though I do agree that this kind of article only further promotes the cycle of derp that pundits like Halperin profit off of. The pundit says something stupid. Media outlets use the stupidity to help fill a round-the-clock need for content. The pundit gets more attention based on the media coverage. Media outlets see that the pundit is getting a lot of attention. The pundit leverages this attention to gain a wider platform to say more stupid things. Media outlets report on the new stupid thing that pundit just said.

It’s like reality TV for people that should know better.

4 Likes

Sorry to break the news to you, but Al and Tipper got divorced in 2011 after separating in 2010. I believe he even is seeing someone new now.

3 Likes

And guess what…they’re both 66 years old…Guess which one would get a pass on age?

BTW, this article is complete bullshit, from “the most famous Beltway pundit” down to mention of his 80,000 twitter followers. Is that a lot for someone as famous as “the most famous”? I have no idea…but I know Halperin is famous for pretending to be a journalist.

6 Likes

God I’d love to shove my fist in that mug.

Does that make me a bad person?

1 Like

Cable-tv is just one more reason real journalism is dying. Being a pundit is hard, though thankfully accountability-free. All that air time to fill; you are fundamentally a lazy slob jealous of the people making more money than you; and you’re a narcissist demanding attention all of the time. So what else can you do but make up stuff and invent controversy. Much easier than working for a living. Next stop for Halperin— “Dancing with the Douchebags.”

1 Like

She would lose. There is one Democratic candidate who can beat Jeb Bush or Chris Christie in 2016, though you might not want to admit it. That is Hillary Clinton.

2 Likes

Another conservative attempt to keep Hillary Clinton from getting the nomination.

Now just WHAT are conservatives afraid of?

1 Like

Oh, I am not convinced she is the only Democrat that can beat the republicans…particularly the two you noted.

The problem is, she is sucking so much oxygen out of the room, for so long, that nobody else can breathe, let alone toss a hat into the ring.

5 Likes

Well said. Its a vicious cycle of derp, aided and abetted by people that ought to know better but simply can’t help themselves…because PROFIT…$$$$$.

1 Like

Can I have a shot of Glenlivet every time someone mentions Hillary?

“BTW, this article is complete bullshit, from “the most famous Beltway pundit” down to mention of his 80,000 twitter followers. Is that a lot for someone as famous as “the most famous”? I have no idea…but I know Halperin is famous for pretending to be a journalist.”

Yeah, actually 80,000 twitter followers is an insanely high number for someone in Halperin’s position. A friend of mine that works in publishing said that the new standard dictates that if someone has 10,000 twitter followers that person can get a book deal, no questions asked and no talent required.

But you raise a good point about what happens when people, and even pretend ‘journalists,’ become famous for simply being famous. As Woody Allen famously said, “You can learn a lot about a society by who it chooses to celebrate.” I think based on this axiom, when a society starts to celebrate someone simply because that person is already celebrated, it’s a sign of mass narcissism.

2 Likes

Who in their correct mind would listen to Mark Halperin??

1 Like

Frankly, Hillary Clinton is a bit too pragmatic for my taste. The RWNJ’s keep dragging the country further and further to the scary fringe, which makes me less sanguine about settling for the “politics of the possible.”

No, give me someone who is unabashedly left-of-center, and who is willing to call out the wingnuts. Warren has a real genius for making the progressive case in a smart, concise, almost unassailable way. That’s something that’s sorely lacking among the current stars of the Democratic Party.

The country’s demographics are shifting, so I’m not convinced that you have to appeal to the “conservative but not truly pathological” voters to win a national election.

But the prospect of the next POTUS nominating a couple of Supremes means that I’d vote for a yellow dog if the Democrats nominate him.

1 Like

But just as smarmy.

Can you afford a liver transplant?

You want Adlai Stevenson,. Sadly, he didn’t win either (admittedly, though, the competition was fierce).

4 Likes

So, President Obama? (Or rather someone exactly like President Obama but with a fresh coat of paint…)

3 Likes

leslie gore has a better shot.party on

1 Like

I think you mean GHW Bush (Bush the Elder, aka 41). He was elected to only one term, so technically he’s still eligible. However, he’s also 90 years old.
GW Bush (Bush the Younger, aka 43, aka W) was elected to two terms, and under the 22nd Amendment, he is not eligible to be elected to the office again.

2 Likes