Discussion: Maria Butina Pleads Guilty To Conspiracy

I’m beginning to believe that’s actually part and parcel of the broader conspiracy. The deeper I look, the worse it gets. Russia was only one actor in a grand effort to disrupt the US elections and get Trump elected. I don’t think either RU or SA predicted the level of scrutiny and push back Trump would receive in the face of it all though… they clearly underestimated us. Again.

That high five at the G-20 between Putin and MbS (along with the deep concern on Trump’s face when he witnessed it, as in “oh crap, I’ve been had!!!”) was kind of a huge tell too.

Impunity is every billionaire’s middle name… the more of them there are in high profile positions, the more visible the corruption becomes. The next few months are going to be very interesting indeed.

5 Likes

Or in Trump’s case, “She turned it into a toadstool…!”

2 Likes

That he does. Sometimes even takes second and third place.

If it were a competition, I’d have given up long ago haha…

Fortunately it isn’t, and we’re all richer for it.

4 Likes

Agreed on all levels. hahahaha

Besides he’s just so damn lovable.

3 Likes

um… “folks that pick lofty names as avatars”… pretty much includes everyone with a “lofty” avatar name, no?

I like to think mine is lofty too. I made it up myself…! :smiley:

By the way, I read through the entire (mostly hostile) thread, and still can’t find your answer to the question, “who is giving Butina a pass…?” You declared she was getting one. I seem to have missed your follow up, spelling out who it was…

Not sure I’m really that interested now, but honestly. Did you actually give a simple, clear answer to that question somewhere? I am unable to find it, sorry…

Have a merry happy joyful holiday, in any case.

Peace on earth and all that…?

1 Like

hmmmm, I wonder if Ira agrees? Heheh…

happymerry holidays to you tena!

1 Like

Thanks- happiest of holidays to you too and it’s looking damn good so far.

2 Likes

Unless that cooperation is now part of the broader strategy or plan. She spills, more disruption happens, she serves 6 months, then gets deported. Mission accomplished, and who knows what kind of juicy stuff she could just make up whole cloth to really throw some wrenches into the works.

Think about this at least two ways:

First, she could be seriously bad news for Trump specifically (and for a wide swath of his enablers peripherally), causing all manner of upheaval throughout the GOP especially.

And/or second, she could cause numerous investigations into the whole affair to derail by stuffing them with ‘bad intel’… what’s the worst that could happen to her now (in our Justice system?). More time for “lying”? Or a deportation?

She could end up being a perfect fly in the ointment on many levels, with the worst case being, she gets sent home to daddy…

She’s not “flipping on Putin”. I’m sure that simply isn’t happening. Instead, she’s perfectly positioned to keep stirring the pot and creating more chaos, with her “get out of jail free” pass just waiting to be claimed after a few short months.

She’ll more likely be welcomed home a hero. Let’s not forget that Russia’s defense so far on indictments for conspiracy have been to evoke Force Majeure. Meaning essentially, you can’t convict us because it was an act of war…

We might want to start thinking at that level at some point? This isn’t about “legality”, it’s about war.

It’s also a fact that the GOP have been talking about “war” vs everyone else in the country for quite awhile now as well.

We really need to stop treating these things as simple political differences, and instead, respond to the facts that we’ve had war declared on us (in no uncertain terms) by an American political party AND a hostile foreign adversary… and therefore it shouldn’t be so surprising to discover they may have been both sleeping in the same bed together…

3 Likes

We’ve all been reading too much LeCarre.

4 Likes

As someday it may happen that a victim must be found
I’ve got a little list, I’ve got a little list
Of G.O.P. offenders who might well be underground
And who never would be missed - who never would be missed!

4 Likes

I could’ve sworn there were photos of her at the convention. Was it maybe the NRA convention I’m confusing it with?

1 Like

Agreed she’s not flipping on Putin so she can get deported to him.

Yes, she could send the feds on wild goose chases with bad intel. Then prosecutors could withdraw their plea agreement and throw the book at her like they’re doing with Manafort. Maybe get her shipped to supermax for wasting their time. Or if she’s really lucky she gets bartered out in a spy swap, but I’m sure going this route as sac lamb wouldn’t be her preferred choice.

Of course it’s not really up to her, it’s up to Mr. P. Prosecutors would have to be aware of all these variables just as easily as we’re now speculating about them, along with the high likelihood she’ll only share with them what her boss wants her to share.

It just makes the prospect of getting anything all that fantastic out of her seem insurmountably bleak in my opinion. Putin’s not going to want to give up Russian assets he’s got entrenched in NRA and GOP that can continue to yield intel and influence for him.

Hell, Khrushchev and his famous ‘we will bury you’ banging the shoe on the UN desk dates back to the 60s. This didn’t just start two years ago.

2 Likes

The special counsel is more than aware of pretty much everything. I doubt there is any more wool to pull over the eyes that won’t be immediately sniffed out and unraveled.

1 Like

I’m waiting for my chance to bounce Johnson right out of the Senate in his next election. The trouble is, it’s too long between now and then and most of the idiots in Wisconsin will re-elect him.

1 Like

Why do I think J.D. Gordon’s name is about to reenter the news cycle? That guy is definitely on my short list for co-conspirators that criss-cross at a multiplicity of points along this whole wretched saga. I’ll bet he was one of those emailed by Erickson and Butina that was referenced in today’s court docs.

2 Likes

You can have several items with a singular focus. Imagine three spotlights focused on one place.

defensive much?

1 Like

You could be right. Time will tell (I hope).

I may have more confidence in the DOJ and its agencies.
That could change if peepee keeps managing to force out competent people.

2 Likes

You are a true romantic.
Yeah, they’re just a couple of crazy kids…

:wink:

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available