Discussion: Manafort-Linked Russian Oligarch Sues Treasury Over Sanctions Against Him

2 Likes

This story brings me great joy.

Seven and a half billion down, all the rest to go. Bummer, Oleg.

11 Likes

Is this epic trolling, or does he think the fix is in? Or does he think he’ll be able to request discovery of every the feds know about him that led to making this decision? (Hmm, do the feds get to request all the details needed from him to determine whether he is still an putin-adjacent oligarch?)

6 Likes

Yeah, I wish I had enough money to lose $7.5 billion.

7 Likes

“He says that because of the sanctions, he’s suffered from a “wholesale devastation” of his wealth, reputation and economic livelihood.”

Oleg, don’t take it personally, its just business.You know how it goes.

7 Likes

Maybe I’m crazy, but aren’t we allowed, as a nation, to decide who outside the US we do business with? That’s essentially what sanctions are–a statement that we don’t wish to do business with you.

9 Likes

A great guy, I feel very badly for the way he’s been treated. Completely UNFAIR!

4 Likes

My first thought was, “What if the Treasury refuses to defend the sanctions?” Is that possible?

3 Likes

Yes, I don’t get the angle, I mean, the US government does not owe any foreign company or non US Citizen any form of business, transaction or compensation at all. Nor do they have to respond to a suit either I am pretty sure. It will be interesting to see how they reconcile the Trump Brand false US-ism with their desperate itch to cave in to their Russian cronies.

3 Likes

With Munchkin at the helm of Treasury, along with the Russian aligned people who have been working there since 2015, who knows what the point of this is? We don’t exactly have brain trusts guarding anything now.

6 Likes

Who gives a shit you Russia prick!!!

3 Likes

Sad

1 Like

And there it is, in plain sight. This guy + Manafort + Trump + Putin. Bada bing.

4 Likes

Somehow I really do not think that the Federal Judiciary is going to step in and alter U.S. foreign policy in favor of a Russian Mafioso criminal on hard times.

But then, with all the judges Trump has appointed, who knows?

Yeah not sure how he plans to get around Sovereign immunity.

Cc @jrevenaugh

Well he could always fly to the USA and sue the Treasury in person. If they dismiss his case, I’m sure Mueller would love to hear all about Deripaska’s business interests.

2 Likes

Do a Puty on him CIA…"DISAPPEAR " him…

Can an American file a law suit in a Russian court? If not, why should we allow a Russian to do so in our own system?

Perhaps the quickest way to get a post-presidency Trump out of our hair is to extradite him to a country where he has been convicted of a crime. It can’t be random, however, as a) the country has to have a valid extradition treaty with the US, and b) the extradition review has to meet objective standards for extradition laid down by the UN. A large financial fraud would probably meet these standards. Somebody in the US government still knows what countries are possible, but the State Department no longer updates its website, because, well, who would need that useful information? The only people interested are probably “invaders” anyway. BTW: The US seems to have abandon worrying about extradition treaties in 1996, so it never go around to an extradition treaty with Ukraine. Uzbekistan, however, in the process of updating its extradition treaty, so there’s hope.

I would love to see him return to the US to pursue this suit. Mueller can give him the cell next door to Manafort. Even though Judge Ellis will prohibit the use of the word “oligarch”.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available