Discussion: Magnitude Of Irma Drives Massive Evacuation From Florida

1 Like

Out of sensitivity to Floridians, please use the term “really long-range weather forecasts” when discussing the outlook for future massive evacuations.

5 Likes

Loving the deaf signer standing next to Gov. Scott this morning…super expressive plus has the look of a young Robert Mitchum…

Looking at the photo on this story I truly do not get why no one mentions the fact that Rick Scott killed a high speed rail project that would be key to Florida’s civil defense. He did it for political reasons. Anybody??

9 Likes

Any state with Skeletor Scott, Mar-e-Coli, Little Marco, Hanging Chads, and Pam Bondi is perhaps deserving of some “insensitive” karma…

6 Likes

My good thoughts and wishes for safety to all affected by these storms. I really do fear that they will become the norm, sooner rather than later. I wonder how long the “climate deniers” can pretend that none of this is due to our own wastefulness and stupidity when it comes to damaging the environment.

1 Like

Anybody hear why they haven’t opened 5 of those lanes for outbound traffic? (just keeping 1 lane open for the other direction)

5 Likes

Some places apparently they have. Don’t know where/when that particular picture was taken.

3 Likes

And I hope George Zimmerman stands his ground and is severely impacted.

6 Likes

Exactly. Anyone with need to head southbound ought to be disciplined and trained well enough that they can stay in one lane. Like first responders, Red Cross volunteers, military, and weather crews hoping to score the first meteorologist to be beheaded on live television by a chunk of whirling roofing.

1 Like

My nephew and his family are in Hollywood, Fl. They decided to stay because the highways are too clogged to get out in time. He told my sister that he’d rather die at home than in the car, stuck on the highway when Irma hits. Good luck, kid.

1 Like

If he’s in Hollywood he’ll be fine. Irma’s not going near there. The Keys are in big trouble as are Naples, Ft. Meyers and Tampa.

I’m pretty sure that 18 million people don’t deserve a Cat 5 hurricane because you differ with the politics of a a few of them. Irma may kill people here…its not a subject for jokes or politics.

You might find this an interesting read…

1 Like

Same could be said for San Francisco and New Orleans.

Nevertheless, they exist and it’s too late to unmake them. They are part of the country and as such we are all involved in whatever catastrophe hits those places.

5 Likes

I totally agree with all your points and do hope that Floridians make it through this as well as they can, and with all the support the rest of us can muster.

My perhaps inelegantly stated original post is that politics has EVERYTHING to do with how Florida developed in the first place, and why they are going to suffer the potential impacts of IRMA. Carl Hiassen spent his career writing columns in the Miami Herald about all of the shenanigans that went on between developers and politicians, resulting in a what is now a very vulnerable state, before and after IRMA. .

3 Likes

Herding cats? Jeez. In one job in the 1970’s, I would have 20-25 fellow employees under my direction for short-term projects measured in a week or so.
It’s a miracle I did not strangle one or more of them. Worse than teenagers.
Get millions to get out of Dodge? Fuggeddaboudit.