Discussion: Macron v. Trump: French President Threatens To Rebuke US At Summit

This would be glorious. Let’s see if it happens.

12 Likes

As a real American, I support this action. The world needs to put this asshole in his place, since we don’t seem to be willing to do it.

39 Likes

“Please tell Prime Minister Trudeau and President Macron…” what the hell? Is this Lucy not speaking to Ethel?

11 Likes

In light of this, Sen. Bob Corker (R-TN) introduced legislation Wednesday forbidding Trump to levy tariffs in the name of national security without congressional approval.

Sounds good to me. Congress is pretty worthless at the moment, so I doubt it could pass, but still a good idea.

ETA: yup, worthless Congess. From Politico yesterday:

GOP leaders are moving swiftly to tamp down support for Sen. Bob
Corker’s (R-Tenn.) proposal to give Congress power to stop Trump
tariffs, eager to avoid a standoff with the president five months ahead
of the midterms…allowing it a vote on the Senate floor in the coming days
is a step too far for leadership.

14 Likes

In light of this, Sen. Bob Corker (R-TN) introduced legislation Wednesday forbidding Trump to levy tariffs in the name of national security without congressional approval.

I’d love to see Republicans turn against him on even this one issue. Republicans–at least some of them–know how much they stand to lose with these tariffs.

13 Likes

30 Likes

It’ll get even scarier when he starts talking about himself in the 3rd person.

7 Likes

Luckily, he’s leaving our new enemies early to go meet with our new friend, Kim. It will minimize his time with that scary Angela …

11 Likes

Just ignore the jackass. Let him eat McD’s in his room while the rest of you carry on.

10 Likes

Well, at least the United States is respected again. Not like when Obama was in office.

17 Likes

No French fries though!

5 Likes

—Spew Alert!—

1 Like

What I would like to know from a reliable source is if there really is an unfair imbalance with our trading partners. All my life I can recall the claim being made about China. I suspect it is more nuanced than Trump’s sound bites, of course, but is some form of push back justified (if not the push back our bumbler in chief has chosen)?

2 Likes

Good. Never kowtow to fascists. Appeasement never works and only makes things worse.

…also I would love if Macron and Trudeau very loudly spoke to each other only in French whenever Trump was around, and maybe dropped ‘Mueller’ here and there randomly in their conversations.

22 Likes

Yes, Trump’s actions will hurt the United States economically.

5 Likes

It’s an odd thing to read, say, a wikipedia article about the history of early-1900s geopolitics. When I read such an article five years ago, I would offer a knowing chuckle, “Ha, how damned foolish these people were, you could see all of these problems and conflicts coming from a mile/decade away”. Because you try to get along with your neighbors, you don’t just piss on them for no reason. Dominance foolishness is for middle school, not for foreign relations.

It’s not as funny as it was five years ago.

(This shouldn’t be read as a criticism of Macron, because that’s definitely not what I mean)

5 Likes

Trump hurts the U.S. in every aspect (not just economically) internationally and he has not made the world a safer, healthier place. Our cowardly legislators have colluded with him and are unwilling to challenge his insanity!

4 Likes

Good idea, yes, but even if it passed (it won’t) the Dotard would still have to sign it. He won’t. Still, as a symbolic gesture of no confidence, i see this vote as essential.

4 Likes

And then he probably read that bizarre tirade Bannon made about Macron

1 Like