Discussion: Luck Of The Irish: Paul Ryan Pushes For Influx Of Irish Visas In Nod To Ancestry

Actually that is the exact type of cage I use for my dogs.

1 Like

Irish need not apply is ancient history, and an insensitive excuse were Ryan or anyone to use it. In short, Ireland, in light of dominant pigmentation, lost its shithole status long, long ago. This is an insensitive asinine move that ignores history and current times in symphony.

2 Likes

Thank you. Few years later I married a widow. Weā€™re doing well.

Ah. They have the correct skin color for Ryan! How nice.

2 Likes

It is my belief that Lord Actonā€™s Axiom was initially uttered about the Pope and the Vatican. Lord Acton was one of many English Catholics who were in his time excommunicated. I read about him in Thomas S. Bokenkotterā€™s A Concise History of the Catholic Church, which was my sonā€™s 9th grade religious studiesā€™ main text book. As soon as my sonā€™s final exams were over I grabbed the book and read it on the subway in one week. One of the main themes in the book is how the Vatican, once well esconced in power (with that nasty Avignon business aside), has not been the source of any new thinking within the Church, and has, on the contrary, squelched all such new movements (including an English Catholic resurgence after the schism) which included Lord Acton and his peers.

The other point I need to make is that Paul Ryan is not and has not ever been a Policy Wonk. Only in the modern Dixiecrat - GOP where any expertise is scoffed at as effete, and the only expertise allowed is Heritage Foundation vetted fake science, social science, economics and history, could a person as shallow and vapid as Paul Ryan (whose big intellectual claim to fame is having been an Ayn Rand fan as a youth) claim to be an intellectual policy wonk. It is like when he claimed to have run great Marathon times. All bullshit.

1 Like

Please donā€™t throw around words like ā€œracistā€ casually.

1 Like

I appreciate the reply, sincerely. Thank you.

I didnā€™t think the comment made itā€™s point when I posted it. It wasnā€™t clear if it was a bad attempt at humor from a shallow-thinking shithead ā€” which I can be ā€” or a friendly dig at my mates who have truly awful tastes in beer ā€” in my expert opinion ; - )

Or whether it succeeded in making a point that racism is more than the simple consideration of the color of oneā€™s skin ā€” itā€™s as much the stereotype in oneā€™s mind ā€” and that the immigration problem is more than just a matter of law enforcement. To me, the article introduced the notions of heritage and ancestry into the debate, which arguably have been at the core of why people have always come to this country.

Thanks again.

I agree. Care is good. Probably good advice for me.

I took the reply as a gentle rebuke for my poor post. The two ā€œsidesā€ of my post were not equivalent. Better would have been:

[quote]Thereā€™s only one thing worse than an immigrant coming here to take all our jobs.

Thatā€™s an Irishman coming to drink all our beer.[/quote]

Even so, @sherron made me realize I was guilty of perpetuating that which I was ostensibly arguing against. Thank you, and Best Wishes for the Holidays.

Obviously, his family brainwashed little sleazy Paul Ryan into fealty to his tribe. Exactly, the values that dirty klan thug and racists Fred and Marianne Trump inculcated in their skanky sexual predator son Donald.

Even as an adult, little Paul muscle head lacks the intelligence and competence to think beyond his tribe. Small minded, mean spirited and parochial.

1 Like

My parents and grandparents suffered severe bigotry in the 20ā€™s and 30ā€™s. I abhor any form of it.
I have, however, noticed a tendency these days on the part of some people ā€“ especially the young ā€“ to attach labels of, say, racist or misogynist to people about whom they know nothing. I just recently told my granddaughter to know something about a personā€™s life, work experience, age, education before you decide he/she is a racist or bigot. My formative years were spent among ā€“ you name it ā€“ Jews, blacks, Irish, Polish, Italians. They all have an enormous sense of humor about themselves.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve not noticed any immunity to corruption among actual Catholics but even I will concede that give his devotion to Ayn Rand it is unfair to attribute any of Ryanā€™s actions to his purported faith.

1 Like

Any evidence that Ryan ever lost his devotion to Ayn Rand? Aside from finding it politically inconvenient that is?

1 Like

I do not think so. I think as recently as his publicity tour when Romney chose him as his VP candidate, Ayn Rand was a big part of his claim to deep intellect in the GOP Intellectual Waste Land of the Blind where the One Wit Man is King.

The other thing this article made me wish was that SNL wasnā€™t such pricks that you have to buy everything in a boxed set, and one could find a free Youtube version of John Belushiā€™s great Weekend Update rant on The Luck of the Irish.

2 Likes

Ireland is a wonderful country but like all small nations it is parochial and hemmed in by tradition and geography. Ask any young person growing up in Vermont. They canā€™t wait to get to Boston. Itā€™s the same all over the world.

Thanks for understanding.

As an older southerner there is a whole can of ugly worms lodged in my memory banks that were imprinted at an early age. At times they pop up out of nowhere and Iā€™m surprised that I can have those thoughts even for a minute.

Iā€™m also appalled at how long it took me to realize just how hurtful they could be. Im even more appalled at how long it took me to realize that racism is not just about skin color. I know hundreds of Polish jokes, yankees jokes, Chinese jokes, etc., Iā€™m ashamed to say and sometimes Iā€™m tempted to repeat them. I donā€™t.

The comment hit a nerve with me because Iā€™m dealing with my own failings so pass it off as projection.

Also, itā€™s a really hard time to live in a place you love knowing you are surrounded by people so full of hate and bigotry that casual racism is a lifestyle. It makes for a very thin skin.

1 Like

I donā€™t.

Thatā€™s good! Iā€™ve been married to my husband for 25 short years, and when I read your comment, my heart kind of twisted at the thought of losing him. Iā€™m glad that you and yours are doing great!

Indeed, losing a spouse isnā€™t one of the worse things that can happen to one. Itā€™s worse than that, but one lives through it. Grief never goes away I think about people I lost years ago. One does get by it. My current wife says weā€™re recycled spouses, living happily ever after and comfortably with each otherā€™s ghosts.

Pity, go through life taking umbrage at both imagined and real slights.

Very well said.

By the way, I make it a practice not to characterize people based on two words ; - )

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available