Discussion: Luck Of The Irish: Paul Ryan Pushes For Influx Of Irish Visas In Nod To Ancestry

Guinness tastes like bread. A line in a song written by Tim O’Brien, an Irish American folk musician

Widmer Hefeweizen, on a hot day, with a wedge of lemon. Heavenly

2 Likes

But, you wouldn’t consider having work visas from this side of the Atlantic. Oh, I see, these are white people. But, aren’t you worried about all that chain migration? Are you a hypocrite?

2 Likes

Boston too. Love to see the footage of ICE trying to do a raid in Southie.

3 Likes

Yeah, it really does, like the darkest, densest bread in liquid form.

1 Like

That won’t sit well with the base.

1 Like

That would not be a pretty sight. Same goes for Dorchester where I grew up.

The Republican schtick for the poor lines right up with back-in-the-day policies of the English landlords: make the starving and half-dead work on useless government projects to ‘earn’ their food because God knows getting something for no work, no effort corrupts the soul. Everyone needed ‘skin in the game.’ Sound familiar? And so thousands of the Irish died building roads to nowhere.

We haven’t reached those extremes. But it’s not for the lack of Republicans trying.

Ghouls, all of them. As for Ryan? The Irish would disown him in a heartbeat.

3 Likes

You have my condolences on your loss.

Racist much?

1 Like

There are a ton of illegals Irish, Canadian, British here. Language is only a minor issue. Early on, there was a wave of deportations. We need more.

Exactly… OH those Gingers…must have more Cheeto Head.

Weeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllllll he did wash clean pots and pans once…

Actually that is the exact type of cage I use for my dogs.

1 Like

Irish need not apply is ancient history, and an insensitive excuse were Ryan or anyone to use it. In short, Ireland, in light of dominant pigmentation, lost its shithole status long, long ago. This is an insensitive asinine move that ignores history and current times in symphony.

2 Likes

Thank you. Few years later I married a widow. We’re doing well.

Ah. They have the correct skin color for Ryan! How nice.

2 Likes

It is my belief that Lord Acton’s Axiom was initially uttered about the Pope and the Vatican. Lord Acton was one of many English Catholics who were in his time excommunicated. I read about him in Thomas S. Bokenkotter’s A Concise History of the Catholic Church, which was my son’s 9th grade religious studies’ main text book. As soon as my son’s final exams were over I grabbed the book and read it on the subway in one week. One of the main themes in the book is how the Vatican, once well esconced in power (with that nasty Avignon business aside), has not been the source of any new thinking within the Church, and has, on the contrary, squelched all such new movements (including an English Catholic resurgence after the schism) which included Lord Acton and his peers.

The other point I need to make is that Paul Ryan is not and has not ever been a Policy Wonk. Only in the modern Dixiecrat - GOP where any expertise is scoffed at as effete, and the only expertise allowed is Heritage Foundation vetted fake science, social science, economics and history, could a person as shallow and vapid as Paul Ryan (whose big intellectual claim to fame is having been an Ayn Rand fan as a youth) claim to be an intellectual policy wonk. It is like when he claimed to have run great Marathon times. All bullshit.

1 Like

Please don’t throw around words like “racist” casually.

1 Like

I appreciate the reply, sincerely. Thank you.

I didn’t think the comment made it’s point when I posted it. It wasn’t clear if it was a bad attempt at humor from a shallow-thinking shithead — which I can be — or a friendly dig at my mates who have truly awful tastes in beer — in my expert opinion ; - )

Or whether it succeeded in making a point that racism is more than the simple consideration of the color of one’s skin — it’s as much the stereotype in one’s mind — and that the immigration problem is more than just a matter of law enforcement. To me, the article introduced the notions of heritage and ancestry into the debate, which arguably have been at the core of why people have always come to this country.

Thanks again.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available