Discussion: Love Wins: Same-Sex Marriage Supporters Celebrate Across Nation

Discussion for article #237953

The three latest rulings expanding gay rights were all issued on June 26, and were all written by Justice Kennedy.

Lawrence v. Texas in 2003
United States v. Windsor in 2013
Obergfell v. Hodges in 2015

June 26 would make an excellent new holiday: Gay Rights Day

21 Likes

California Lt.Governor Gavin Newsom was way ahead of the curve on same sex marriage when he was mayor of San Francisco and took a stand in 2004 as described in this story up today. Fearless prediction: Newsom will be the next governor once Governor Brown is termed out in 2018.

20 Likes

It seems Justice Kennedy has always supported gay rights and shown warmth and compassion toward that cause all his life.

17 Likes

“Neither your oath nor the Supreme Court dictates what you must believe,” Beshear said Friday in a letter. “But as elected officials, they do prescribe how we must act.”

Compare this dose of calm sanity to a lot of angry, frightened Fox-poisoned local government officials to what we see in ideologically comparable, if not really similar, states of Arkansas or Texas or Louisiana and consider that this is the guy who brought the benefit of Obamacare to Kentucky but also who gave its tax money to the Creationist money pit museum and theme park.

I’ve got no use for Democrats who are to the right of their constituents, but they are a nearly thankfully extinct species. And this is the best you can hope for in a deep red state. Beshear, Manchin or for that matter Claire McKaskill are the very best you can hope for in states like that. And the people there are better, and the nation as a whole is better, for having them rather than their alternatives.

22 Likes

George Harris, 82, and Jack Evans, 85, were the first couple married in Dallas yesterday. They’ve been together for 54 years. They also have a keen sense of humor. “Do we get a senior citizen discount on the $91 fee?”

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-news/dallas/headlines/20150626-octogenarians-become-historic-dallas-newlyweds.ece

23 Likes

What a wonderful, wonderful world it can be when we put love ahead of hate.

That being said, I still can’t help wishing that Scalia would end up in jail with a gay biker named “Tiny”.

5 Likes

This hard-earned right-- is among the last bastions of ignorance and divisiveness remaining in the quiver of the ®arely ®ight.

The things I’m seeing in my lifetime are beginning to rival those experienced by my father-- and his.
It’s not all sweetness and light.
But those moments seem to be coming more frequent.

jw1

8 Likes

That photo seemed to be bothering Ms Megyn last night.Faux news ? is now getting more attention and not for the reason they like.

5 Likes

Let’s start a petition…

If for nothing else it might push some of the Angry Xians over the edge…

10 Likes

I’ll bring it up at the next Gay Agenda Central Planning Committee brunch. (Before we all get hammered on Mimosas and Belinis)

10 Likes

Sorry I missed the last meeting.
I’d just washed my hair, and couldn’t do a thing with it.

8 Likes

cultural and political developments allowed same-sex couples to lead more open and public lives…When new insight reveals discord between the Constitution’s central protections and a received legal stricture, a claim to liberty must be addressed

–Justice Kennedy

I’ve been thinking about “claiming liberty” 18 years ago when the partner and I hooked up. It wasn’t easy. I was dying and the future was bleak but it was less bleak with a loving partner. While many people were lovely, many were not and my skeletal self had to confront their self-righteous hate and fear at stores, restaurants and, yes, even doctor’s offices while weening my partner from the frenetic and deadly late 90s gay subculture to create a middle class gay space that even Hugh Beaumont and Barbara Billingsley could claim as their own (kinda).
Openness has been magical and allowed me to let my Dad really know me before he passed to name just one of the many blessings.
I wish I had been born into this openness but I’m thankful to have played a tiny part in the creation of it.

14 Likes

The bishop also said Catholic properties could not be “used for the solemnization of same-sex marriage.”

At least he acknowledges the wedding ceremonies are as solemn as his preferred het marriages.

2 Likes

You should know by now to never miss a meeting. In your absence, you were voted onto several subcommittees.

8 Likes

Aren’t they already over the edge?

2 Likes

If they can be seen and heard…they’re not over the edge enough. ;~)

5 Likes

Damn!
Serves me right.

1 Like

The fact that this ruling is pissing off all the right people is just a lagniappe gift from Kennedy.

5 Likes

The timing of this decision presents me with a great dilemma. I spent 8-5 yesterday in suicide prevention training (needless to say my phone exploded all day). My dilemma is this: If I see an over-the-top bagger on a bridge or window ledge, what do I do?

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available