Discussion: 'Lies': Trump's SOTU Speech Lands Flat With Furious Democrats

Low energy Trump, it seemed to me. (I have quite the nerve commenting on this, because I heard very, very little of that barkfest – on purpose, but be that as it may… ) My long-term impression of him is that he’s only animated when he’s off-script and riffing his racist and sexist and generally disgusting talking points and riling up his base. When he has to get within photon torpedo distance of sounding half-rational and (cough) “Presidential”, which means he has to go on the t-e-l-e-p-r-o-m-p-t-e-r, he slows down, loses affect, and becomes sleepy and robotic. Don’t know if he’s medicated when this is going on, or if he’s just kind of sullen, like a little boy being told what to do and grudgingly doing it. What little I heard of tonight seemed to be in that vein, aside from that really weird applause he kept giving himself.

4 Likes

I don’t :smile:

4 Likes

" Donny , do you know what you just said in your SOTU speech ? " .
" I haven`t got a fucking clue " .

Didn’t watch because I’ve seen this show before: Lots of lies, phony props and applause lines given by a racist, sexist, arrogant and egotistical orange asshole.

Watching paint drying would be more educational and interesting to me.

2 Likes

I didn’t watch. Already had a headache.

I’m going to do my damnedest this year to get every similar-minded non-freak around me registered and strongly encourage them to vote Democratic down the line. Here in my gerrymandered district, it’s been done before – so it can be done again. Now that Virginia’s governor’s race is over and we went a long way in the sane aisle, we need to organize like hell in the purple districts (like mine) … all of them really, but especially in the ones that have shown in the past they can listen to reason.

5 Likes

Hate does not deserve a platform.

The Democrats should have boycotted. Walked out. Something to show clearly that this is not normal.

The institutions of democracy are under attack by Republicans, and democracy itself won’t be saved by pretending or acting like everything is normal.

Fury without constructive action accomplishes nothing.

1 Like

Did not watch and won’t watch the next one or the next and so on. God forbid this amateur gets re-elected.

I can’t believe Republicans don’t stand for America.

What about the Russian attack? What about organized crime? Are we Americans wrong to want our country defended?

3 Likes

I was busy running a Cub Scout meeting. The fundamental goodness of the community and the people I know, hasn’t been reflected in our politics for most of my adult life now.

2 Likes

So tonight, I call on the Congress to empower every Cabinet Secretary
with the authority to reward good workers – and to remove Federal
employees who undermine the public trust or fail the American people.

In other words, eliminate the Civil Service system and go back to the 1800’s when government jobs were given out as favors. Yeah, let’s push the corruption all the way down.

2 Likes

“I’ve always felt like you should stare a bully in the face and never walk away from a fight and it’s clear to me that this president has it out for people who don’t look like him,

No one looks like that freak. Absolutely no one. I’m not even sure he’s from this planet. He looks more Martian, than American.

Michael Grunwald of Politico has a good article up on what Trump did not mention about the economy: Trump Took a Victory Lap. Here’s What He Didn’t Mention

2 Likes

I too felt a bit should they or should they not. Like you, I felt was to be an individual choice. But visuals are good. Proud to see my congressman Dwight Evans representing. I had no plans to watch either. I prefer to read the speeches coming from BS artists like Trump because I really hate getting nauseous. I’m not surprised at the Kabuki like atmosphere that this once serious event has devolved into. The only consolation I have right now is that there have not been any fisticuffs as in some other national legislative bodies. That would be the ultimate lowering of the bar. However, I get the feeling it might be close at hand. I hope not.

“I got a solution! You’re a dick! South Carolina, what’s up?”

Now all we need is Not Sure…

I caught that line as well. and thought…you have got to be kidding me!

1 Like

This fabulous comment on Frank Bruni’s NYT column “The Fictitious State of Trump’s Fantastical Union” is my new favorite thing:

5 Likes

More like, “Did we really order a baloney sandwich?”

1 Like

The only meaningful thing in this speech was that Trump revealed his cards on DACA: he intends to deport. There is no deal he will accept short of complete surrender. There are no votes for his disruption of legal immigration. It would kill the economy and hurt even more people than his DACA gambit does.

His lengthy lies about immigration were meant as a poison pill to destroy any momentum in Congress for a deal, because he is indicating that he won’t sign one, which means Ryan won’t ever bring it up. He wants to deport. What the Trumpers have done with their management of ICE is to break down any sense of standards or propriety in the treatment. We’re being told that all undocumented folks are illegal criminals. This is intended to desensitize us Nazi style to enable the government to harshly act against innocents. These are the tell tale signs of fascism.

7 Likes

It’s the part where Republicans stood and applauded the Quisling and broke out in “Seig Heil” “USA USA” that was the disgrace.

5 Likes

A few years ago there were a few members of MS-13 in my Queens neighborhood. Everyone from elected officials, law enforcement to community leaders and Curtis Sliwa and the Guardian Angles came together to purge them. No fuss, no fear mongering speechs and they nor their brethren have not returned.

The peak years for gang activity in NYC was that era that Trump and many of his supporters pine for, the 1950’s when over 100 different gangs roamed the streets.

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available