Discussion: Klobuchar: Being Mean To My Staff Proves I Can Deal With Putin

well, you were on roll, now it’s going up hill and slowing down your progress.
I see the end of your road to the white house now.
Just around a few more corners.
good try though

Are being demanding and setting high standards for staff, and being a prick, analogous?

4 Likes

Red flag for you, that’s fine. But neither the specific allegations of Amy nor the larger thematic issue of how one treats staff lead to the conclusions you draw, not empirically anyway.

Case in point–see 45.

2 Likes

People who cannot deal with their staff in a humane way should not be encouraged. They should find a way to improve their treatment.

If you are hiring someone, you watch how they deal with waitresses, the janitor, those who work behind the scenes. You don’t get hired if you are a piece of shit.

Amy, honey, don’t be a piece of shit. Find a way to be a decent person, not a dick.

4 Likes

Sorry, Amy, but that’s a dick move. Trump is mean to everyone in the universe and he is a Putin flunky.
Being mean to your staffers just means you’re being mean. Having high standards and expecting them to do a competent job is not the same as being a mean boss.

3 Likes

Meet the new boss; same as the old boss.

You’re confusing TPM’s headline for what she said. She talked about being tough and getting things done. TPM turned it into some bizarre statement about her justifying “being mean to my staff” because…I dunno. Click bait? Editorial bias? The title is grossly irresponsible for an internet outlet that wants to be taken seriously.

1 Like

That’s flat out wrong. The empirical data has long supported the links. 4 studies linked off of just this one post…

2 Likes

No. And I think it’s an important point you raise. If a politician yells at an employee for not responding to a constituent request within a stated time frame and it has happened multiple times and in frustration the pol throws a manilla folder across the room to make clear how serious he/she views being responsive to constituents in a timely way, that doesn’t strike me as being a prick. That strikes me as communicating a sense of urgency that staff should be adopting as part of their own mindset because the staff are an extension of the politician from the viewpoint of the constituents. Many, many constituents evaluate a political based on their own experience with the staff.

not a good look

The fact that somebody might treat their staff poorly / abusively / humiliating them for mistakes or oversights is rather unappealing - maybe not a showstopper - but certainly not an ‘enhancing’ attribute.

Seeing somebody get obstinate and choose to embrace this and decide to flaunt it like it is some favorably distinguishing feature … makes you question their judgment -

have seen individuals in various professions who behave like this - definitely questions the behavior - and really really question how seriously psychologically F’ed up that person is to get some sort of gratification out of ranting and being abusive to a subordinate - when a simple direct correction or instructive statement would actually move things forward with out humiliating the subordinate.

In what way is Amy toxic? Is being demanding, toxic? Your alleging things and drawing conclusions that don’t add up.

1 Like

Does TPM have an editor these days? I’m finding it really hard to square the following rather anodyne statement from Klobuchar with the inflammatory (and defamatory) headline TPM chose to run with:

“When you’re out there on the world stage and dealing with people like Vladimir Putin, yeah, you want someone who’s tough,” Klobuchar told CNN. “You want someone that demands the answers and that’s going to get things done, and that’s what I’ve done my whole life.”

2 Likes

I just want to be clear about something. I don’t think she is toxic, per se. I think she can continue to work in the senate where she seems to be doing a good job. I’m just not sure she has the right character to be the President based upon what appears to be her management style, which as I have said already, I think precludes her from building the type of highly functional team that I believe will be needed.

There are other good candidates. I’m not sure she’s done enough to distinguish herself in a positive way vs. the other options.

You can’t be serious. This kind of crap should have been done with when she was 6. Throwing things at people is a crime. And throwing folders is childish and stupid. Certainly there are better ways to work. People I have worked under have never thrown things. We merely have discussions. Same with those that I work over. No inanimate objects were injured in the process of our discussions.

7 Likes

thanks for the Buttigieg mention. he’s my fav right now too.

2 Likes

This isn’t the @khyber900 we’re used to, with thoughtful and well-researched responses. Everything ok?

You can have high standards and be demanding without being demeaning or humiliating people.

And where’s her loud chorus of ex-staffers (as the one with the highest turnover in the Senate since she’s been there, she’s got plenty) backing her up?

Naw, she’s toxic. And it’s not her vs. Trump, where it would be a no-brainer to back her. It’s her vs. a whole bunch of people that don’t have this baggage.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/amy-klobuchar-abuse-staff-2020_us_5c5a1cb1e4b0871047588649

4 Likes

here’s the story: Sen. Amy Klobuchar’s nascent presidential campaign has been dogged by allegations that the Minnesota Democrat mistreated her Senate staff. In an interview with CNN’s Poppy Harlow on Thursday, the senator admitted she “can always do better” with her staff, but said her toughness would be an asset on the world stage.

Klobuchar cast the reports of staff mistreatment as a positive for her ability to operative on the international stage as president, namely when dealing with Russian President Vladimir Putin.
“If you are a boss, you have to have high standards, and that is what I have always had. And that doesn’t mean it’s a popularity contest all the time,” she said. “And so I’ve had high standards for myself, high standards for our staff, and mostly I’m going to have high standards for the country.”
She added: “One can always do better, and that means you want to be sure that you are listening to people if they felt that something was unfair, or they felt bad about something. But I still think that you have to demand good product. When you’re out there on the world stage and dealing with people like Vladimir Putin, yeah, you want someone who’s tough. You want someone that demands the answers and that’s going to get things done, and that’s what I’ve done my whole life.”

3 Likes

From the Huffpost: “In Washington, she is known as one of the most difficult bosses on Capitol Hill. According to data from 2001 to 2016, Klobuchar had the highest staff turnover rate in the Senate, with an annual turnover rate of 36%. Her Washington office currently has 24 employees, according to the website LegiStorm.”

This is what Trump is doing. He is firing his way to an effective staff. Or something.

Screwing over your staff is not a positive. It’s close to a deal-breaker for a lot of people. Because most people are staff, and they don’t like to have a dick for a boss.

4 Likes

The comb as fork issue, if the account I read was accurate, disturbed me because it sounded insane and also a dirty thing to do. I probably would’ve blown off the fact there was no folk, washed my hands and used my hands to eat the salad. But that’s just me.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available