Discussion: Karen Handel: 'I Do Not Support A Livable Wage' (VIDEO)

Wish I could Like 1000 times
Every day
10 What the fucks?
8 holy shits !
and 15 I ain’t believing this

4 Likes

Oh yeah and there was no difference between Hillary and Trump
Fuck Off

4 Likes

Yes, each side has extremists and ignoramuses. But only one side repeatedly votes them into higher office.

4 Likes

Goddamn, what a stupid thing to say. She must’ve thought “oh, I’ll nail him with this comment. Genius!” Another prize winner for the GOP.

As a small business owner is regional Australia, I simply can’t understand why this is even still a thing. Our lowest paid staff member in a team of 12 earns $24 an hour Australian, about $18 an hour US. This is in the hospitality industry. We pay them well, they are happy and motivated at work, they get to spend time with their families, pay a mortgage, have holidays… oh, and don’t pay for healthcare. Tell me again how the USA is the greatest nation on earth?

7 Likes

Don’t support a living wage? Then don’t collect one…

There you have it! As my former congressman, Barney Frank, said, the people who believe that life begins at conception and ends at birth.

6 Likes

Fear not…they are.

Many of us in the US wish it weren’t “still a thing”…

2 Likes

Slave labor works for business.
— The Conservative Movement

1 Like

I’ve heard that more than once…

1 Like

She’s a 2 at best! A real uggo, sad!

Super. Now every rePukelican must be asked if they agree with her.
She forgot Prime Diktat 1: Never mistake what you say to Sean Hannity on Fox with what you say elsewhere.

1 Like

Yeah I’d be worried if I was thinking about him alone in this. He pulled out all the stops last time and he prevented Ossof from getting an early victory!

But really, go back and listen to her: She is at pains to emphasize “I do not support a liveable wage!” I had to listen to it 3 times to really believe that she really said that!! But she did! Incredulously, I just played it over it a fourth timei!!

2 Likes

Part of America HAS gone mad, but part of it is fighting that and pushing back. Georgeh calls it tribalism, which it is, and I call it “sports team mentality” b/c of the parallels of chanting, wearing merch, bumper stickers and signs, shouting down your opponents and over identifying w/ the players… Paul Fussell wrote a book called “Class” which was hilarious, and it described sports team mentality. A simplified summary: When my team wins, I am a winner and I feel good about myself!!!
Even if you aren’t winning and your life is in the crapper.

I agree w/ mcbain in that there are people who, as long as their own lives are plentiful and painless, they don’t really care about anybody else…which is why what acornsprout mentions about Bush happened. The Muslim Brotherhood were very powerful as opposition but when they had to rule and actually do things for people they failed. It will be the same w/ Trump and the R’s… The press is smarter now. The resistance people are smarter now and more active. This will not last.

My sense is to give your friends a little time. Trump HAS only been in office a few months. And YES, it is appalling what he has done in that short time. But it hasn’t really trickled down into the real lives of most of his supporters yet. The people it has directly harmed already were not his supporters. Trump & his band of merry grifters are not going to be able to keep this up and fool the fools forever. I was in a rough part of WV about a month ago…Trump country…and some people I met were concerned about the national parks in their area being defiled and sold off, guns (open carry makes things less safe in their opinion), and drugs. They spoke negatively about intolerance of LGBT and African Americans in their area. I don’t know how the people I spoke w/ voted…I had just met them and didn’t want to “go there”… I’ll revisit later this summer and will pick up the conversation. But it was very insightful. It was a very rugged area that I can best describe as weathered. It feels remote. And it is a tougher way of life than anything I ever saw when living in NYC, Philly, LA, or Texas…And I can imagine that if a person lives there and all they have is Sinclair/Fox TV, Rush Limbaugh and all of their associates on Facebook consume this, that it does distort the way a person thinks.

Voting is corrupted in some states…maybe all?..I observed this in a small town in Ohio over the many years I visited my grandfather (a lifelong Republican)…I visited the local Republican office where pamphlets w/ lies about Kerry’s positions were handed out. And YES, I loudly called this out. The people working there were oblivious to the alternative facts they were promoting. (we had a pleasant discussion and one of them contacted me later to talk further) I observed the man in charge of elections constantly making it difficult for people to register to vote and restricting polling machines in certain districts on election day. But I also observed machine Dems in Philly blatantly violating election rules at poling places in 2008 primary. There are instances of this everywhere. I think voting rights is a key area for us to focus on.

I am glad that many news organizations seem to be doing great investigative work. I don’t think this is futile. They are creating a record and one day we will be able to look back and see how this all unfolded…Trump and McConnell and Ryan and Ivanka and Jared and Uday and Qusay will not be able to distort the truth forever.

I believe there is hope and sanity, and it is more to be found in some state and local governments and in actual citizens than it is in national politicians. The Republicans in Congress are corrupt. Many of the Dems unfortunately are as well…the amount of nepotism that goes on w/ family members of Congress lobbying is staggering. I wish that one of the newspapers would do a story on this.

2 Likes

I have the same question. Although I hope that the Ossoff campaign can hang Handel’s “livable wage” statement around her campaign’s neck, my takeaway from the longer article on the debate was that Ossoff didn’t really do very well and that Handel seemed to dominate him. I hope other folks can fill in the blanks.

2 Likes

To be as much of an apples to apples comparison, I’d love to see this revised to the average/minimum take home**emphasized text wage, i.e. after taxes. I’m reasonably confident even the average single person earning minimum wage here in the U.S. (even in those states where they have raised the minimum to the $10-$12 range) isn’t paying anything in state or Federal income tax, but they are paying the 6.5% SS/Medicare tax and probably some local city taxes. I have no idea what percentage of their income someone in France making 12.35 an hour pays in taxes, but I would guess its more than 6.5%. Of course, those taxes pay for healthcare, better safety net and real vacation time…

Don’t get me wrong, I think the gap is still huge, but perhaps not quite as stark as depicted here…

This woman has a bad memory … she left her hood and robes at home.

1 Like

“This is an example of the fundamental difference between a liberal and a
conservative: I do not support a livable wage,” she said on Atlanta’s
WSB-TV in response to a viewer question about raising the minimum wage.
“What I support is making sure that we have an economy that is robust
with low taxes and less regulation.”

I agree about the fundamental difference Ms Handel… having been homeless at a time in my youth I can attest that hunger isn’t pleasant. Everybody deserves to eat better than cat food. A livable wage is basic to human dignity. Ms Handel does not care about human dignity, sadly, she cares about the kind of capitalism that rips off the weak, steals from the unlucky. She cares about enriching the already wealthy so that she get donations for her political career, which, come to think of it, is a sort of “livable wage”.
I hope Georgians vote heavily for Ossoff and it would be nice to see Handel in a soup kitchen somewhere.

1 Like

My comment isn’t about differences between people or parties or policies. It is about the evolved nature of human beings to form, join, and defend their tribe. Tribalism evolved because it offered a survival advantage to members of the tribe.

Gerrymandering would not work if it weren’t for tribalism. Tribalism is why it is so difficult to get people to change their party even when their party acts against their own interests.

And Democratic tribalism is rampant on these boards as can be seen by the vicious responses to my original post which simply said that tribalism afflicts both Republicans and Democrats. It wasn’t a criticism of Republicans or Democrats, it was a statement explaining the behavior of human being in both parties.