Discussion: Jury In Manafort Trial Will Wrap Up For The Day At 5PM ET

What street where? I don’t meet 4 out of 10 people who voted for Trump ever.

6 Likes

New jury note: “Your Honor, would you please request the baboon in the White House to stop trying to interfere with our deliberations?”

10 Likes

TPM has been doing some artsy things lately, giving a certain cohesiveness to some of the front page pix, the most prominent being changing some pictures to grayscale and then giving them a monotone cast in one color or another. It’s the choice of whoever is in charge of the look of the page.

Edit to add: I like @irasdad explanation much better. Mine is a wonky one from someone who used to have to do this sort of thing for publication.

6 Likes

Yeah, even if all of this is just theater the jury knows that, if they came out with a verdict after only a few hours, whichever side they ruled against might start rioting. No one will criticize a jury for taking their time. A rushed verdict would definitely draw an unfriendly reaction, though.

1 Like

Jesus. They don’t even blush at this kind of crap.

4 Likes

I am shocked that rocket docket, we don’t have time for the jury to look at the exhibits, judge Ellis doesn’t have them working this weekend.

Oh, I guess that means he would have to work also, never mind.

2 Likes

Clearly they’re not the OJ jury.

1 Like

May they stay safe and healthy. And be able to sleep this weekend.

4 Likes

Or, as William S. Burroughs, would have said, “a purple assed baboon.”

5 Likes

I’d have someone watching all of their accounts, yes.

6 Likes

Hmm … maybe it’s your dark glasses?

2 Likes

I’ve read the verdict must be unanimous or he walks. There are 17 or 18 charges levied. Does that mean each charge has to be unanimous? Can he be convicted on some and not the other. I’m easily confused.

They must reach a unanimous verdict on each individual count. They could, for instance, find him not guilty on two counts, but guilty of the rest or vice versa.

4 Likes

Downing told reporters that Manafort’s team “really appreciates the support of President Trump.”

Nudge, nudge.

Wink, Wink. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

It does not mean they are hung. It seems to mean that they want to go over what was said in the trial and to examine the dump of evidence that they received in the jury room. It is good that they do. Jurors should always be more concerned with getting it right than with getting out of jury duty.

5 Likes

Thanks. That’s what I thought but wanted to hear from minds greater than mine.

3 Likes

a) it is as pluckyinky said.

b) I was once on a jury with a trial of 4 counts. Two of the counts were against Federal charges and were duplicates of the other charges except that the crime must effect interstate commerce. The guy seemed guilty to us jurors on both of the state counts, but we could not figure out how the crime involved interstate commerce. The prosecutors did not address it, the defense never brought it up, and the judge gave no help in his instructions. We sent back a few questions, but received typically judgy “figure it out for yourselves” answers.

So we found guilty on the state counts, and not guilty on the two Fed counts.

7 Likes

Ruh roh.

[quote=“bodie1, post:52, topic:76174”]
I’ve read the verdict must be unanimous or he walks.[/quote]

Well, not quite. In federal court a unanimous verdict is required, yes; but if the jury reports that it cannot come to a collective decision, then a mistrial may be declared and the defendant can face a new trial. (In this circumstance the “double jeopardy” clause would not apply.)

Can he be convicted on some and not the other?

Yes.

3 Likes

I am stunned the case was so short. I’ve been on longer ones with much less evidence and far fewer charges.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available