Discussion: Judge Who Gave Stanford Swimmer Light Sentence For Sexual Assault Recalled

“I think you have to take the whole picture in terms of what impact imprisonment has on a specific individual’s life,” Persky said during the sentencing hearing.

White male privilege, I still can’t fathom this, if a women is drunk, then. it is ok to rape her?

8 Likes

It’s not ok but women should have enough sense, as well as men to get blotto drunk.

“I think you have to take the whole picture in terms of what impact imprisonment has on a specific individual’s life,” Persky said during the sentencing hearing.
That is why people who have a clear conscience don’t commit crimes, the old adage goes, if you can’t do the time, don’t do the crime.
On a side note, what is the judge’s record when the perpetrator isn’t white?

1 Like

“The problem with this recall is it will pressure judges to follow the rule of public opinion as opposed to the rule of law.”

Because the public opinion in this case was just so…whimsical? Judge Aaron Persky finds the scrutiny and accountability of being a public servant unbearable, compares it to mob rule. Good riddance. Remember when Pete Wilson forced Governor Gray Davis out of office on a recall? Or the earlier GOP hit job recall of Cruz Reynoso, the first Mexican American Judge to serve on the California Supreme Court? The rule of public opinion as opposed to the rule of law, my ass.

3 Likes

Funny how when it’s a white well-off defendant, it’s all about the terrible effect on the perp’s life. When it’s a poor black defendant, it’s about “sending a message”. When it’s not about whether it was OK for the police to kill them before trial.

7 Likes

Waiting for the victim shaming. We usually don’t have to wait long on TPM. Oh wait, one already appeared.

4 Likes

I used to think that same way.

Then I grew up.

1 Like

The perp obviously knew what he was doing was wrong, as he fled the scene and had to be apprehended and detained by fellow students (international Swedes).

2 Likes

Yes, his “rule of law” allowed for an up to 14 year sentence.

2 Likes

Wrong. Wrong on so many levels. The victim along with any other woman should be able to drink as much as they want and EXPECT to be able to walk home alone & wobbling drunk without being assaulted. Being drunk IS NOT clearance or license to anyone to push themselves onto another person. Being drunk does not mean she wanted it, or was ok with it. He took advantage of her inebriated state to put his cock inside of her. That is an assault, PERIOD end of story. The same goes for women being able to wear anything they want & expect that no one will touch, fondle, stroke or commit any other form of erotic contact. It is NOT OK!

If you’re walking home drunk & pass out & a gay guy put his cock up your poop chute would your attitude be “well shit, I was drunk, that guy had every right to penetrate me without my say so.” I’m sure your answer is no.

8 Likes

Yes, just a little tipsy “outside, behind the dumpster” romance.

Persky said he was adopting the probation department’s recommendation to spare Turner prison for several reasons, including Turner’s age, clean criminal record and the fact that both Turner and the victim were intoxicated.

1 Like

Ok I’m going to tout Missouri’s system of selecting judges here. I live close enough to Illinois to see that direct election of judges has gotten out of control, but I also think that having the Governor appoint judges for life is ripe for corruption. Here’s the history of how Missouri evolved. I like that we have a selection process, and then we can vote the bums out.

https://www.courts.mo.gov/page.jsp?id=1083

What angered me most about the Brock Turner case and Judge Persky is that despite having a reputation of going after rapists as a prosecutor he thought that the recommendation of the probation department to spare Turner was justified. He failed Emily Doe because she was passed out. Even though there were witnesses, two Swedes on bikes, that saw what was happening. There were witnesses, which almost never happens. Would he have given the same sentence if Emily Doe had been passed out because of medical condition?

EPIC rant!!!

Thank you.

3 Likes

Well done Santa Clara County, well done!

Julia Ioffe has an interesting piece on the background of this recall which was spearheaded by the plaintiff’s attorney.

Well done and worth a read

It may be the end of his career as a judge, but the beginning of his career as a proud member of the GOP establishment.

And after all the discussion and public outcry, the arrogant prick still doesn’t get it. He still thinks that the worst thing that happened is that Turner had to give up his swim scholarship.

There really aren’t enough ways for me to tell you to go fuck yourself. Asshole.

It’s not ok but women should have enough sense, as well as men to get blotto drunk.

Utter nonsense, people, especially young people, can get drunk in many ways, “wow, that choco-milk-shake sure taste good”, the perpetrator of a crime is solely responsible for it.

1 Like