Discussion: Judge Skeptical Of Trump Effort To Block Subpoena Of Accounting Firm

3 Likes

Fil in the blanks, kids!

_____________Skeptical Of Trump Effort To Block Subpoena Of _______________

32 Likes

At one point, Mehta asked Consovoy if it was his view that Congress’ investigations into Whitewater and Watergate were beyond the scope of their authority.

Consovoy stammered a bit, before telling the judge he would need to look more closely at the bases of those investigations.

Tsk, tsk.

And

Mehta asked Consovoy if he was asking the judge to look beyond what facially acceptable reasons for Congress’ investigations are and to get to their motives, which the judge was “expressly prohibited” from getting to.

Remember the “Muslim Ban” and SCOTUS ruling? What’s good for the goose is …

42 Likes

Mangolini’s lawyer, Mr. Consovoy, is a crony of BBarr, which only heightens my intense desire that he and his firm might lose this motion.

53 Likes

Many of these skirmishes will probably have the intent and motivation of the House dragged into it by the presiding judge. It’s troubling that in the first major judicial hearing House lawyers weren’t prepared to more definitively state the House’s purposes. And, evidently preceding that, the House itself didn’t arm their lawyers, placing within the language of the subpoenas, those very same reasons. I’ll asume the House avoided that for good reason, it’ll be interesting to hear some legal minds dissect it all.

23 Likes

For good or ill all these affairs are going to completely overwhelm everything Trump and Republicans try to do the rest of this term, save those functions needing only the consent and passage in the Senate (chiefly judicial confirmations) and Trump’s executive orders. Bipartisan legislation is shot in the ass.

17 Likes

Yo tengo mis dedos cruzados

13 Likes

Too bad Trump!

You have NO STANDING!!!

Goodbye!

8 Likes

Well, one hopes that they will be too busy to start a war with Iran.

As for intent and motivation: does the already public evidence for possible Russian (and/or Saudi) financial leverage over trump and his noxious brood not suggest strongly that oversight is desperately needed?

27 Likes

I’m glad they always seem so intent on bringing a spoon to a gun fight.
I’m sure they are competent lawyers… (ones that obviously screwed up somehow, which is why the lead partner saddled them with this thankless case – that’ll teach you for sleeping with my wife, Bill!) they are just hamstrung by not having a legal leg to stand on.

5 Likes

Unfortunately bipartisan consent is not needed to do that.

3 Likes

“We’re not going to drag this out,” the judge said.

8 Likes

No legislation? True. But it was never about legislation. They got their tax cuts & their right-wing judges appointed, the only issues they cared about.

So now there’s plenty of time to blow up the financial markets & screw the farming economy with a ridiculous trade war.

Just for fun.

23 Likes

It doesn’t matter if the law doesn’t help, when your objective is to stall and eventually get the SC to bail you out.

16 Likes

After some quibbling, Consovoy went on to concede that the 1880 case, Kilbourn v. Thompson, was the most recent one dealing with that particular issue but he stressed that the case was “good law” and relevant to the Trump lawsuit.

Discussed previously:

39 Likes

Because these challenges to legitimate subpoenas are simply transparent delaying tactics without any prima facie legal basis, they should be accelerated. The country is on a knife-edge balance right now, and if we don’t course correct soon, it could be too late to ever get back to normal. ETA: If SCOTUS is going to eventually vacate them, do it now so we can all make plans to move to another country as this one falls to fascism.

30 Likes

Apparently they can walk and chew gum, also…

2 Likes

It is specifically part of Congressional oversight, as is the access to his tax documents, this is all spinning in the wind nonsense. There has got to be a really hot mess in these financials…

13 Likes

I thought the legislative reason was to investigate if it were necessary to pass laws regarding presidential asset disclosure to protect national security, i.e. ensure that a president isn’t compromised and/or blackmailed.

Made sense to me.

38 Likes

Um, this seems like an odd response to the question asked by the Judge.

48 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available