Discussion: Judge Keeps Correcting Kobach Lawyers On Trial Procedure

6 Likes

Not “crack litigators,” you say?

Depends on what you mean by “crack,” doesn’t it?

40 Likes

Somebody’s been watching too much Perry Mason.

16 Likes

I was thinking more like LA Law.

8 Likes

I tell you, this lawyering stuff - it’s hard. Nobody knew it would be this hard. Nobody.

65 Likes

Is this an indication of how these folks commonly run trials in this state? Are they accustomed to getting away with these tricks?

31 Likes

Short answer, yes.

9 Likes

No, it’s not, because the ACLU is not getting scolded. It’s that Kobach thought all he had to do was show up and start talking. This judge, bless her heart, isn’t having it.

44 Likes

Kobach and his attorneys are proving to be as incompetent as their entire premise is incoherent. They have nothing and it shows. Kansas citizens should be embarrassed.

42 Likes

“They haven’t exactly given the impression of crack litigators.”

I believe the operative phrase here is, “Litigators on crack.”

36 Likes

Oh!

I was thinking “ass-crack” litigators.

15 Likes

Turtles I’m telling you, turtles: It’s just malevolence tempered by incompetence all the way down.

24 Likes

I was thinking about Kobach & his crew. I wonder if they often get to waltz into court & win? Or are they always losers. Of course, you don’t have to be a capable lawyer to hoodoo voters into electing you.

Yes, thank goodness there are still some competent judges on the bench!

20 Likes

Robinson, an appointee of President George W. Bush, has even instructed Kansas’ attorneys on the correct ways to phrase their questions.

I served on a jury where the plaintiff (a convicted attempted murder who was trying to get his arresting officers for use of force) was representing himself. The judge was amazingly patient as she taught him how to ask a legally acceptable question.

He did not prevail.

32 Likes

I guess they all spent the night at, what is it, a Holiday Inn?

12 Likes

It should have been a Holiday Inn, unfortunately (for Kobach and crew) they went the budget route…

3 Likes

Ah, that was their mistake. They should have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. Then they’d all be Jack McCoy.

14 Likes

Second year law students wouldn’t make these blunders, and I am surprised the judge is putting up with it at all.

14 Likes

What? You mean bluster and bullying doesn’t work in a courtroom like it does in Washington?

19 Likes

I’ve tried a number of cases. These are very basic elements and the only one that doesn’t know these things are junior lawyers on their first few cases.

But one thing every lawyer should do is know what evidence you’re trying to get in, how you’re going to do it and the rule or case law that supports that information. That’s basic.

44 Likes