Discussion: Judge Doesn't Want Word 'Oligarch' To Be Used In Manafort Trial

1 Like

Tinny word !

11 Likes

How about “mobsters,” then.

39 Likes

Mmmmmagnate, magnate. Woody! Very woody!

9 Likes

“Rich associates of murdering dictator Vladimir Putin who illegally paid to get Trump elected so he could commit treason against the United States” just doesn’t have the same ring to it.

42 Likes

What a screwball!

8 Likes

If avoiding despicable peple I guess we don’t want anybody talking obot the President either

7 Likes

“Rich associates of murdering dictator Vladimir Putin who illegally paid to get Trump elected so he could commit treason against the United States” just doesn’t have the same ring to it.

NO ! It also gives away the plot !

15 Likes

How about plutocrat, Your Honor?

19 Likes

Is it still permissible to refer to Your Honor as ‘Snowflake’?

12 Likes

How about “rich, Russian felon” instead of “oligarch”?

14 Likes

I’m not getting a very good feeling about this judge…

24 Likes

Should we be worried about this judge? He was appointed by Reagan.

9 Likes

Rich sonofabitch?

6 Likes

Grumpy old man that has to preside over the beginning of the end of his (I’m guessing) beloved Republican party. At least no one will be able to claim he was biased against Manafort.

11 Likes

Absurd. If he orders that word excluded, he’s creating an appeal. He’s maybe TRYING to keep it all clean and make sure any conviction is not going to get overturned, etc., but he’s going way overboard and I really get a gut feeling he’s personally offended by and overly sensitive to “class warfare” against wealthy people like himself. Oligarch is a word with a definition and should be entirely permissible if used correctly. That it carries with it negative implications is too fucking bad…the facts that make it an appropriate word to use are what create those negative implications. Those facts and the power and influence these people wielded themselves and through Putin are entirely relevant to the motives and intent with which Manafort acted to hide his sources of income and the income itself, etc.

Will he be excluding those facts as well? Their billionaire-club stranglehold over Russia and the region and their deep connections to its autocratic ruler and the power he wields? Oh no Lordy, can’t talk about that neither!!! Apparently good ole well-meaning Paul was just doing some run-of-the-mill honest business with people he totally believed to be nothing but honest, normal blokes who had no demonstrable connections to insane wealth and power in the Russian political stratosphere or motives to hire a guy to do dirty work for them. Just basic Average Joes hiring another basic Averge Joe to do some legitimate public relations work and lobbying. Nothing to see here, folks.

39 Likes

Plutocrat? Kleptocrat? There are other words that are equally apt.

4 Likes

“Rich assholes?”

4 Likes

Russian mafiosi would work for me. See also русская мафия.

3 Likes

KLEPTOCRAT is much gentler than OLIGARCH.

5 Likes