Discussion: Joe Biden Gives An Emotional Interview With Colbert About Beau And His Potential Presidential Run

Discussion for article #240382

I really felt like Colbert proved he had the chops for this last night. Admittedly, there’s some hero worship involved for me when it comes to Joe Biden, but it was a great interview. Colbert’s questions were probing while still being delivered in a compassionate way that made for a good interview style. He joked a little around pressing for “the announcement” but didn’t go too far and he clearly, clearly loves him some Biden. You could tell that Biden is still in an emotional black hole and that it scatters his thoughts to some extent, but he still has that way of making you feel you’re watching one of “the good ones.” He’s one of a kind and his humanity still shines bright. I couldn’t help thinking that we won’t see his equal again for a long time to come.

12 Likes

Very touching. I got a lump in my throat when I watched last night, and my eyes welled up with tears. It was very visceral. I feel for Joe Biden. Grief is such an overwhelming emotion. I hope he takes his time and heals as much as possible before he decides, and doesn’t let anyone push him one way or another as to what he’ll do. Hang in there Joe. We got your back.

10 Likes

I recorded this and I’ll watch later today, but it’s impossible to forget that Colbert lost his father and two brothers when he was 10 years old when they left to visit colleges and were in a plane crash. He brings a special depth of understanding to loss of loved ones.

9 Likes

Every time I see Biden speak, I’m more sure he’s not coming in. He’s clearly still a mess and I think he’s only keeping a toe in out of party loyalty in case Hillary Clinton flames out in the next month or so. Someone give that man a hug.

1 Like

Hillary Clinton and flame out don’t belong in the same sentence.

6 Likes

It certainly was a moving interview, i’m glad i was awake at the time to see it.

The most striking thing about that interview (to me) was the difference in how the vice president sounds when he talks about his faith, versus how folks like Huckabee or Santorum sound when they talk about their faith.

It’s like hearing Hillary discuss foreign policy versus hearing Trump talk foreign policy. Night and day.

If you can’t make up your mind between the parties, i have no patience for you.

10 Likes

I hope not. Guess we’ll see. I still say that’s why Biden is poking around entering the race.

1 Like

I lost my mother suddenly 55 days ago. In my worst feverish nightmare, nothing compares to how painful this has been. Last night, I sat with my father and we both cried as we listened to Joe Biden talk about what it’s been like for him. Only one other politician has ever affected me as deeply and profoundly as Joe Biden did last night, and that’s Barack Obama. Everything he said about empathy about just losing it over some even encouraging comment, it touched my soul. I felt very strongly that while he wasn’t speaking to me personally, he spoke to my heart in a way nobody has been able to during this time, and that meant the world to me.

In an odd way, I’ve been very protective of Joe. I didn’t want him to run because I just don’t want to see him beat up anymore than life and circumstance have already beat him up. That was before last night. I have always been crazy about the man, but I now think maybe what this country needs is a Joe Biden, is someone so raw and honest with their emotions, someone who tells you what they’re thinking to a fault. Maybe what we’re seeing with both Bernie and, to some much smaller degree, with Trump supporters is a yearning for raw honesty. Maybe what we need is someone who deeply sympathizes with the pain of the American people and isn’t afraid to show it. I’m not saying Barack Obama didn’t do those things, he did, but I think maybe Joe would be a good shift from Obama’s sort of professorial, all about business style to Joe’s straight from the heart approach. I want him to do what’s right for him, but if last night was any indication, what’s right for the country if for Joe Biden to run.

16 Likes

Colbert was the white male Oprah last night. He asked probing questions in a way few could get away with without coming off as being a bit salacious. He made Joe laugh through the pain and did so in such a deeply compassionate manner. I was extremely impressed with Colbert, who I think I actually like more than the previous Colbert.

I also enjoyed his interview with the CEO of Uber. I liked how he kept pressing him on how pressing the button was going to make food appear. I felt he kind of exposed the fallacy of what the Uber guy was pushing yet did so in a very comical way.

7 Likes

It is impossible to forget that, and in fact Biden brought it up during the interview. The connection between the two of them as they discussed their past grief was palpable. It’s incredibly powerful stuff.

2 Likes

Salon posted an article on why electing Biden would not be a good idea but I think he is in an excellent position now. Touching interview. Note how EST that it flowed into 9/11.

1 Like

My deepest condolences Plucky on the loss of your mom. You’ll be in my thoughts and prayers. Be gentle on yourself these days and you hang in there too.

5 Likes

Very well stated. I’ve been fortunate enough to date that I haven’t yet suffered the levels of grief you describe, and certainly haven’t suffered anywhere near the level of grief Vice President Biden has suffered in his life, but the death of his son, and listening to him describe his raw emotions, is still incredibly moving to me and I teared up at it.

Like you, I want the vice president to do what is best for himself, and I don’t want him to run if he fears he isn’t up to it. But I hope he is up for it and I hope he can make the run, because what an amazing privilege it would be to have him as President.

2 Likes

Colbert is a much better interviewer than either Fallon or Kimmel but he won’t last. His monologue sucks. He needs some new writers.

The Biden interview was special.

Plucky, I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your mother. You have my deepest sympathies.

4 Likes

Yeah the Uber guy…wow. I couldn’t help thinking what a great example of someone who did nothing but iterated, not really innovated, and thinks he’s the biggest business genius since Trump fell out of his mother…then uses nonsense “business” jargon to talk about it, as if his word salad is really an arcane language that magically turns simple concepts into complicated ones.

You see it all the time with young lawyers too. One of the first things you have to learn when starting out, if you want to be a good lawyer is not to speak in “legalese” because it just sounds pretentious, contrived and stupid. There really doesn’t seem to be any “movement” to rid business-speak of the same affectations. Rather, if you’ve ever read anything these idiots write, it seems more like a contest to see who can come up with the biggest string of nonsense blather but still pull off making everyone think he said something deeply insightful and important.

Also too: /hugs

3 Likes

You hit that on the head. I have been trying to figure out the value of Uber and haven’t yet. Maybe I pay a slightly reduced rate to ride in an Uber car than a cab, but in a cab I know the driver is licensed and insured.

1 Like

Thank you Randy and @SRfromGR. I really appreciate your kind words. It means a lot.

He’ll be just fine. He’s on day number three. Monologues can improve as he gets the hang of things, as his writers get more comfortable with the format, but even then they’ll always be hit and miss. Neither Letterman, who I thought was hilarious, nor Leno landed every joke every night. What I think is most important is the interview and he’s done an excellent job with those.

The value of Uber is that it’s cheaper, they are licensed and insured, and it’s safer. With Uber, the moment you order one you know the name of the driver, you see their picture, and you know what they’re driving. Uber drivers are far more professional (there’s a rating system), their cars are clean, and you know exactly when they’re going to arrive because you can follow their car turn by turn in the Uber app. To me, it’s far, far safer than hopping in a cab. When you hail a cab, you don’t know if the driver is licensed and insured, he could drive off with you, take you anywhere, and do whatever the hell he wants, and you’d have no way of identifying him. Such is not the case with Uber drivers, although, a few have been charged with assault. Still, it’s far fewer than cabbies.

1 Like

All the best to you and your family in this difficult time, Plucky.

3 Likes