Discussion: Jeh Johnson: Confederate Statues Are Now 'Rallying Points' For Hate Groups

1 Like

Becoming?

15 Likes

Not surprised Martha didn’t balance her ‘is Charlottesville Obama’s fault’ question with an ‘is it Trump’s fault’ query as the point of her alleged question wasn’t to illuminate but to blur television’s responsibility for Trump.

7 Likes

The intent was always to intimidate and remind the “negro” of their place. To say otherwise perpetuates the awful lie of the southern gentlemen’s point of view that they were honoring “heritage”.

19 Likes

“And so a number of Americans rightly, Republican and Democrat, are very concerned and very alarmed.”

Republicans can say whatever they want, but I believe them to be lying through their teeth. I don’t think there is one Republican in this country who is truly concerned or alarmed over hate groups. It suits their agenda to a tee.

I hope I am proven wrong.

10 Likes

succinct.

1 Like

Okay, first of all the pattern of confederate monument construction strongly suggests they had little to do with commemoration and more to do with segregation and suppression, in short they were about racism; e.g., peak building was ca 1910 as lynchings and KKK surged with a lesser peak ca 1960 during civil rights era.

Secondly the message to minorities, blacks in particular, was unmistakable no matter what those constructing the monuments may have said or even thought: it was, “we’re here and federal armies aren’t; know your place and stay there, or else.”

As an old comrade in arms once told me, “to ya’lls it was a civil war but to us it was our war of independence, the one we didn’t get the first time around.” Guess he could have added, and every half century or so it has to be fought again.

tl/dr: Take the damned statues down but, rather than destroying them, remove the plinths or any other elevation and put them on the ground so passersby can look them in the eye, to spit or salute as so moved. Municipalities can accept petitions to move the statues to private property if they vote to do so (at petitioner’s expense of course).

9 Likes

Southern “heritage” includes human bondage, traitors and the kkk.

14 Likes

So the smoke has finally cleared and the mirrors have cracked and these statues have finally been revealed in the harsh bright light of day. Geez…that only took 100 years…

11 Likes

Don’t plan on being proven wrong - not that I suspect you are making such plans. This is the Republican Party that grew out of the isolationists from the 30’s and 40’s and who built the conservative wing in the 50’s around Richard Nixon, Bill Buckley and the National Review, Goldwater, and the oil company millionaires. Then came Reagan who was the newer and more photogenic version of Goldwater. The party now belongs, lock, stock, and barrel, to the conservative billionaires who brought in one of their kind to create FOX News to spread their lies and propaganda (and protect their fortunes from the desperately needed progressive income tax and from the inheritance tax that would weaken their power.)

This group exists based on lies and propaganda. It’s time to break them up with a big and effective inheritance tax, a sharply progressive income tax starting with anyone earning over half a million a year, effective transparency and control over spending in political elections, and exposure of the hate groups they are funding.

They grew out of the slavery in the South where most of America’s millionaires were before the Civil War. It should be no surprise that Nixon created his Southern Strategy to give power back to the plantation owners in '68.

13 Likes

Thank you very much for speaking TRUTH to power, Jeh Johnson!!!

2 Likes

Sometimes it takes a while for Americans to become as the younger folks say woke to history. Now people can figure out “gee they weren’t installed after the civil war, but by the Daughters of the Confederacy from the 1880’s to the 1920’s”
If they can only come to terms with awful Dukes of Hazzard reruns.

4 Likes

“The party now belongs, lock, stock, and barrel, to the conservative billionaires who brought in one of their kind to create FOX News to spread their lies and propaganda (and protect their fortunes from the desperately needed progressive income tax and from the inheritance tax that would weaken their power.)”

So what do their brain washed sheep do next? Throw these self serving creeps under the bus and find a nice white supremist wannabe dictator to fawn over.

This special crop of GOP dickheads may not live to see their denouement, but rest assured history is going to have at them. They’d be well advised to skip the statues to themselves. They are coming down.

4 Likes

Melt them down and put Lincoln, Grant or Sherman in their place. Remind them who won and who the real patriots were.

6 Likes

Sadly, you are not likely to be proved wrong - I am a Christian and am sickened and disgusted by the support not only Trump, but the Republican party has gotten from “evangelicals”, and for decades. No Republican should escape blame for this - their decades-long race-baiting and scare-mongering is now being made only MORE obvious. Someone online said today, that “they have been issuing invitations (to the white nationalists, etc.) for decades - they can’t issue condemnation when the guests finally show up.”

9 Likes

Hey, it kept Denver Pyle working, that’s gotta count for something!

1 Like

I’m thinking a Sherman statue in downtown Atlanta. How’s that for heritage.

12 Likes

And Ben Jones who played Cooter. He later served in congress as a conservative Democrat representing the Atlanta suburbs. Sadly he would still tout that Heritage not hate nonesense.

1 Like

How about renaming the highway from Atlanta to Savannah Sherman’s highway.

6 Likes

Yeah, but I still wish he’d won in 94.

His opponent was Newt Gingrich.

5 Likes