Discussion: Jailed Va. Lawmaker On His Messy Legal Situation: 'There Will Be Consequences'

Discussion for article #232106

Now that is a justice system we can be proud of!

Not for nothing did this guy earn the epithet “Fightin’ Joe”. (Literally – in 1991, he got in a fistfight with opposing counsel right in the courthouse – while he was the Commonwealth’s Attorney for the City of Richmond.)

He is in trouble as much as he is out of it – but somehow, always manages to land on his feet. And he even turns his combative reputation to advantage. When he first ran for the House of Delegates, his campaign billboards pictured a guy with boxing gloves, and a slogan to the effect of, “Let ‘Fighting Joe’ Morrissey fight for you!”

Then in December, Morrissey entered an Alford plea – meaning that he did not admit wrongdoing, but did admit that prosecutors had enough evidence to convict him – on a single misdemeanor charge of contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

Morrissey was subsequently sentenced to six months in jail. A work-release agreement had allowed him to leave for 12 hours a day, seven days a week to practice law and to campaign – and now to legislate.

WTF?! How do the rest of us who aren’t rich get that lenient of a jail sentence?

The consequences are that he is now a felon really that only got a misdemeanor charge and the fact that he escaped any real punishment has all sides PO’ed. At least that’s how I see it.

He is a sexual predator by definition and if I were in his district I would be very worried about the services that he intended to provide to the community.

Throw Joe Morrissey on the big heap of Virginian political scumbags.

Oh, there will indeed be consequences, although I think they might surprise the pervert.

What’s worse:

A) Contributing to the deliquency of One minor

or

B) Contributing to the stupidity of the GOTP voters?