Discussion: 'It's Morally Reprehensible': Liberals Livid With Senate Dems Over Shutdown Deal

1 Like
10 Likes

“I’m so goddamn mad,” one senior aide to a Democratic senator who voted to reopen the government on Monday after voting against it on Friday. “We went to the mat to prove to DREAMers we would, without any clear plan for moving forward.

But Schumer is such a master strategist, I thought? Surely he would have foreseen the possibility of a shutdown and had the troops ready with their framing message? Surely an organized, sustained, and disciplined messaging campaign could have framed the shutdown so that the party in total control that’s opposing CHIP and DACA would be blamed for it? Surely, with every day of the shutdown costing the Rs politically, a better deal could have been made? I thought #ABetterDeal was our motto?

Oh, I guess not.

12 Likes

Is this guy a liberal? He seems OK with it:

So as I understand it, Dems gave Trump 3 weeks in return for promise of a vote on DACA; also got 6 years of CHIP funding. I understand the concerns of immigration activists, but this doesn't sound like a surrender, unless I'm missing something

— Paul Krugman (@paulkrugman) January 22, 2018
64 Likes

The Democratic Leaders in Washington utterly fail to realize the life-and-death peril that both citizens and immigrants face in this country.

Their actions are indefensible.

6 Likes

I hope you’re right and I’m wrong. I hope Trump, Ryan, and McConnell decide out of the goodness of their hearts to help the Dreamers even though it will tear Ds apart if they don’t.

3 Likes

Well, Chuck talked with Susan Collins, and she told him that, of course, you can trust Mitch!

9 Likes

How to Damage Mid-Term Turnout for Dummies (Demmies?)

9 Likes

I suppose we will have some idea as to whether or not Krugman is missing something in about three weeks. (At the moment, it really does look like self-castration, in which case we will know who is missing something, and what that something is. But I hope that it is I who am failing to see something good in this outcome.)

6 Likes

Sap Schumer and the Cave Committee did it to us again.

10 Likes

Well, elections matter. If you want to get your way in this country, show up and vote, and not for a candidate who could never win as a protest either. I think the lesson of 2016 will be lost on a lot of people.

28 Likes

Rock? Meet Hard Place…

5 Likes

We’re all being premature here. While the likelihood of a DACA bill seems low, I wouldn’t jump on the Dems until we see if that in fact happens.

24 Likes

If I could predict the future I wouldn’t be wasting my time on Internet comment threads. I only know two things: The GOP doesn’t want to round up the Dreamers and bundle them on planes. And the Democrats know that. I also saw from the polls this was kind of equivocal politically. So I’m going to watch and wait. So is Paul Krugman. The main thing to cure this problem up is to win elections. I’m going to suggest we rail at our own fucking party less and work more on that.

69 Likes

a long shot as the White House ruled out a compromise piece of bipartisan legislation immediately after the vote

waahhhhh?

Apparently, the Dems’ natural position is ass in the air, hands on ankles.

3 Likes

As I said, I hope you’re right. Just cannot see it happening.

Also, railing at Schumer & Co. is healthy. They’re invertebrate unless stiffened by grassroots pressure.

10 Likes

horse shit. I got 9 million kids with health insurance who think this position is pretty defensible.

47 Likes

Well, george, without the democrats, there is absolutely no way this issue will be decided favorably, so by all means, keep knocking them.

They’re a minority and they have very few options, especially since the White House really doesn’t seem to be in favor of this.

23 Likes

Yes! Thank you.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available