Discussion: Indiana Lawmakers Announce They've Reached Agreement To Alter Law

Discussion for article #234948

Too little, too late.

“Where’s the fun in THAT?” – Wingnut Christian Business Owners of Indiana

1 Like

I’m not so sure. This little fiasco was hammered down by the public with such lightning speed that I don’t think any rightwing nut could help but get the message that these back door legislative approaches will have devastating and immediate consequences. And it’s far from over for Indiana.

Radical conservatives have to realize now they no longer have any shelter to protect them from the storm when they attempt to enact these kinds of petty tyranny. Even in White Bread Indiana.

3 Likes

Which is all very amusing since the discrimination bit was the whole point of the law in the first place. Still not seeing how the RWNJ’s are going to actually agree to this when it hits the floor.

4 Likes

Words. Show me the words.

4 Likes

According to a report from the Indianapolis Star, the bill will add protections for LGBT individuals by making it clear that businesses cannot use the religious freedom law to defend discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity.

Talk about the law of unintended consequences. Before all this began, Indiana was one of the states that didn’t include LGBT in the discrimination laws.

2 Likes

What a phony pair these two. And I am sick of this bullshit “Hoosier” hospitality. They knew what they were doing. They willfully wrote the law to allow businesses to discriminate and they got caught. Instead of a mea culpa and admitting they were wrong, they blame the media and the public for “misperception” of their bigoted law. What a pair of lying sacks of shit! If the media and the public are totally wrong about the intent of the bill and law, why the need to change it?

8 Likes

So now if they’ve added protections to prohibit discrimination against LGBT citizens, then what exactly is the purpose of this law now? What issue are they solving?

9 Likes

Creeps caught red handed aren’t to be trusted. Dump the junk ‘law’.

2 Likes

Exactly, the wording may end up being very similar to the Federal RFRA. That seems to be what’s going on now with Arkansas’s similar bill that Gov. Hutchinson sent back to the legislature.

1 Like

Shorter version: “We thought this was the hill we were prepared to die on. But once the dying actually started we changed our mind.”

2 Likes

When they say “I can tell you honestly”, they’re always lying.

5 Likes

I just wanted to share yet another shitty thing Indiana is currently doing that’s getting less coverage. Imprisoning a woman for having a miscarriage:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/indiana-has-now-charged-two-asian-american-women-feticide-n332761

I didn’t see it covered on TPM, but think it’s relevant.

5 Likes

I guess maybe business owners could still act on their Deeply Held Religious Beliefs and refuse service to Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, and atheists, couldn’t they? That will be fun–until one of those people decide to refuse service to Christians.

1 Like

According to a report from the Indianapolis Star, the bill will add protections for LGBT individuals by making it clear that businesses cannot use the religious freedom law to defend discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity.

AGAIN, THEN WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS FUCKING USELESS LAW? IT WAS ORIGINALLY DESIGNED TO LEGALIZE DISCRIMINATION AGAINST GAYS, NOW IT SAYS BUSINESSES CAN’T DISCRIMINATE AGAINST GAYS. SO WHY IS THIS FUCKING USELESS PIECE OF LEGISLATION NEEDED?

1 Like

why don’t you just repeal it you dumbshits? If the law can’t be used to discriminate against gays, why were the American Family Ass’n and other assorted fundamentalist Christian Taliban nutcases so behind this? This bill and others like it were expressly written to prevent the horrific scenario of a baker getting sued because he or she refused to provide services to a gay wedding. That’s it, that’s all this bill was ever meant to address.

1 Like

I love their confidence that no one in Indiana discriminates. I’m pretty sure there are people in all 50 states who engage is discrimination.

1 Like

still unclear to me what ‘fix’ could be put in place to, um, fix this… law says people can discriminate base on their ‘sincerely held’ religious beliefs… a fix to this law would seem to either be able to do nothing, or would repeal it wholesale.

It may not be full repeal of the law, and these white conservatives may try to deflect the blame and insist that they were never trying to allow institutionalized discrimination, but this is a step in the right direction. Anyone who says, “Too little, too late,” or “They don’t mean it, they’re just bowing to pressure!” is missing the point. The pressure and forcing the change IS the point. The public outcry was heard, the droves of businesses changing their plans to avoid Indiana had an impact. Maybe THESE guys won’t ever “get it,” but by forcing them to bow to a more enlightened public opinion, the next generation will come of age with a different, more accepting perspective. You may not be able to teach on old dog new tricks, but the puppies are another matter.

5 Likes