Discussion: In The Ohio Governors' Race, The Future Of Medicaid Hangs In The Balance

Once again proving the only things all Rethugliklans have in common is a deep-seated hatred of humanity and the insane (and thoroughly debunked) notion of state and federal government raising revenues through tax cuts.

7 Likes

Exactly how many people are going to be impacted by these new work requirements? To me that is a key question because nearly everybody on Medicaid qualifies for some sort of exception. Many are disabled, others are elderly and in nursing homes, a whole lot are children, others provide child care, some are full time students. These work requirements stories rarely tell you how many people receiving medicaid might be impacted.

I would love some detail in any of these stories. As it is I get the impression both sides are trying to confuse their followers. In the case of medicaid expansion I suspect Cordray is right and there will really be very few impacted leading me to conclude the entire exercise isn’t worth the effort. Numbers in a newspaper article might short circuit the entire discussion. Sort of like the drug testing scam a lot of conservatives want to loudly impose to prove they are doing what tea party people want.

3 Likes

work without pay
I think there is a word for that.

4 Likes

I read someplace that here in NC it would be less than 15% of recipients.

Of course, Republicans know this. They know that trying to push their draconian crap would be very, very expensive and wouldn’t likely save a penny.

But, Republicans also know that their base is a bunch of assholes who LOVE, LOVE, LOVE anything that makes others miserable.

3 Likes

The sickest part of this is that Republicans are relying on “Christians” to get elected so they have to be rotten, rotten, rotten to keep their base happy.

4 Likes

Republican Rep Jim Jordan pushing for SNAP reductions that hurt the rural poor and farmers, Republicans running for governor wanting to kill the Medicaid expansion hurting the rural population with the highest addiction rate also hurting the smaller town hospitals.

But they will get the rural vote. Go figure.

3 Likes

I live in Ohio and have already seen several ads between DeWine and Taylor trashing each other, so hopefully that has had longer lasting damage for their ability to win in November.

4 Likes

They have really been casting stones, um boulders, at each other.

1 Like

Because nobody on the Democratic side ever reaches out to the rural communities to ell them that they are the biggest beneficiaries of medicaid expansion. They only hear one side of the story. In a lot of ways Democratic Party decisions to focus on urban voters is very harmful to all Americans. Benign neglect of rural voters by Democrats is hurting all of us.

At the very least I would think it in our best interests to engage Republicans in suburban and rural districts. Even if we don’t win we might have an impact on the conversation. As it is conservative voters are deliberately kept in the dark.

Rural Ohio will not listen to a Democrat because of race and LGBT plus guns…and those are the ones who never go to church. The suburbs is where the inroads will be made.

I’m not saying we shouldn’t try, but don’t be disappointed when a D doesn’t get the votes.

1 Like

“Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir.”
“Are there no prisons?”
“Plenty of prisons…”
“And the Union workhouses.” demanded Republican McScrooge. “Are they still in operation?”
“Both very busy, sir…”
“Those who are badly off must go there.”
“Many can’t go there; and many would rather die.”
“If they would rather die,” said Republican McScrooge, “they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population.”

2 Likes

And it was banned by the XIII Amendment to the Constitution, except as punishment for a crime.

That must be the loophole DeWine sees – those folks are criminally guilty of not being wealthy.

In the death camps during WW2 one saw “Arbeit macht Frei” woven into the iron gates.

2 Likes

We don’t need to win, we just need to cut the margin and force Republicans to start proposing policies that benefit their constituents. It is your kind of analysis that has turned America into a long twilight race war. I for one am sick of identity and racial politics. Why aren’t you? Let’s move America forward and get past the past. That is what our kids want to do.

Can’t see HIS dandruff!

Yes, and we used to own this group. But part of it is also they hate the same people; it’s their hate that unites them. Too many are fine cutting off their noses to spite their faces.

1 Like

Two questions, 1. if you return hate for hate, how the hell do you ever expect to get beyond that hate and 2. you do realize your blanket condemnation of all rural people is just as vile as the blanket race hatred advanced by Republicans and Fox News?

Again I am sick of small minded small tent Democrats who claim we are permanently stuck hating poor whites because poor whites all hate us. We have always been at war with eastasia and we will always be at war with eastasia.

1 Like

Yes, the Dem candidates should hold events at small rural hospitals. They should remind voters that the ACA is the main reason these hospitals can continue to operate. The candidates should not have any problem getting the hospital administrators to get in front of a microphone to back them up.

2 Likes

If the waiver is approved by the Trump administration, Ohioans unable to find work would have get placed with an organization in their county and work without pay to earn the value of their health care benefits.

Numb-nut Republicans don’t blink an eye at the cost of this program. Do they think the vetting of applications is free? Examining each and every case for able-bodiedness and then monitoring takes a lot of labor hours. What drives their need to do this? (I know, I know, a huge part of their base and even a lot of Democrats are hugely afraid somebody somewhere will get something they don’t deserve.)

Perhaps they could do a cost-benefit analysis before charging ahead with their ideologically driven agenda. Or at least do a pilot and evaluate its effectiveness before going all-in on it. Actually, it’s already been done. It resulted in increased costs in Kentucky.

1 Like