Discussion: Illinois Becomes 37th State To Ratify Equal Rights Amendment

Wonderful. And you thought this was dead. Hah. Not on your life. Its been a perennial since the early 70’s. Martha Griffiths (D-MI) is looking down from heaven in delight and anticipation. One more to go.

Phyllis Schlafly is dead and the Equal Rights Amendment is alive and still plugging along…

19 Likes

Virginia the next best bet?

30 Likes

The current court would intepret an ERA out of existence in a heartbeat. Rehniquist pioneered this kind of bullsh*t, and it’s continued from Scalia through Alito and Roberts, likely to get worse with Gorsuch. All you do is explain how something that looks like dsicriminating against women is really just protecting their interests. Oh, yeah, and it would be discriminating against men to not give them control over the decision about terminating someone else’s pregnancy.

14 Likes

It is largely believed that the deadline language in the original ERA is unconstitutional so this really means we are 1 state short of adopting the amendment. What states are left? What is the chance any of them will pass the amendment?

8 Likes

A flickering light in the all-consuming gloom.

16 Likes

I hope you are right, but the passive tense of your sentence begs for the question-- Largely believed by whom and with what evidence?

1 Like

These time limits have been imposed repeatedly. The first time they were imposed, with regard to the 18th Amendment, the Supreme Court was called upon to say if they were acceptable. The Court decided that they are not unconstitutional (Dillon v. Gloss, 1921). That is the law as it stands.

6 Likes

So virginia is the sole blue state that could vote for it. The virginia house and senate are controlled by republicans, but both by 1 seat majorities and both have another election during Trump’s term. So continued blue waves could land Democrat majorities in both chambers.

9 Likes

I thought this was dead too.

Wow.

4 Likes

That map speaks volume’s. I agree, that Virginia looks to be best.

4 Likes

Women rising.

9 Likes

I wonder if states that now have GOP supermajorities like Texas will now move to unratify it though.

3 Likes

So, this is another “meaningless” vote then. I was saddened in 1982 when the deadline hit, and saddened more now. I cannot see THIS Supreme Court rulling differently on the time limit and especially not for this amendment. :cry:

I would not call it a meaningless vote, and I have a great deal of faith in the women currently on the Court.

However, someone observed (correctly if imprecisely) that arguments exist as to the unconstitutionality of the limits; and so I felt it important to note where the Court left the issue the last time it was asked to take a look.

6 Likes

You have to wonder?

My worry is how close we have come to having 38 state legislatures controlled by the GOP. Wikipedia puts the current number at 32, and 4 of the states with split legislatures went for Trumpp in 2016.

1 Like

Ratification by more states and pressure to rescind/revoke the time limit could be a campaign issue in certain races this fall.

3 Likes

Still wondering how the hell this isn’t an Amendment yet. :angry:

5 Likes

because during all that time most of the people involved in voting for it looked like this

8 Likes

The R’s will do anything to prevent women being equal!!!

4 Likes