Discussion: 'I Hope He Has Learned His Lesson': Huddle Between Pelosi, Schumer, Trump Is Closed Press

Good one Speaker Pelosi.

10 Likes

Is Infrastructure Week early this year? Is it somehow connected to lunar cycles?

20 Likes

I’d prefer a meeting open to the press. Trump will still grandstand, extort, lie, blackmail, bluff, make outrageous demands, make promises he can’t or won’t keep in private. And Pelosi and Schumer will be powerless to report it all afterwards and call him on all of it, as he and anyone else in the room in his employ will just deny it and call them liars.

20 Likes

Does infrastructure week also include impeachment week? That one is way more important.

17 Likes

We all would but Trump got schooled last time and he’s not gonna do that again. Reminding everyone of that was a good move on Speaker Pelosi’s part.

14 Likes

Best bring lots of hamberders and diet coke and some flash cards.

6 Likes

Guess how many times the “wall” will pop up?

1 Like

Your reasoning seems sound.

One wonders why Pelosi and Schumer say they prefer a closed-door meeting.

7 Likes

What I wouldn’t give to be a fly on the wall during that meeting.

In spite of the foul stink emanating from the excrescence behind the desk.

8 Likes

No, they won’t be “powerless”, but thanks for ceding the ground to the other side. That’s how to win!

They can and will call him out and report what was actually said, and should refer to him as a liar and his supplicants as toadies for claiming otherwise, and rhetorically ask why he feels the need to lie and why they are so afraid of him, a paper tiger without claws. He’s got spitballs. They need to bring humiliation.

8 Likes

Last year’s meeting was “cringe-worthy?” For whom? If Nicole Lafond is referring to the so-called advisers to Trump, perhaps they were cringing at the time. I thought the event was really instructive because it demonstrated what a dumb ass blowhard we had sitting in the White House, a fool so full of himself that even Nancy Pelosi’s grandmotherly admonitions went unheeded. I wasn’t cringing; I was learning.

11 Likes

Yes, they can do all that, but will anyone be convinced who does not believe them already?

2 Likes

First tweet-lie within 10 minutes of the end of meeting.

Timing depends on distance from meeting site to nearest toilet, and whether bathroom is occupied.

4 Likes

Especially since there is no “all or nothing” requirement as to the meeting and the public/private aspect. We’ve all seen meetings wherein the first few minutes are spent with the press, and then the participants take it behind closed doors for the meat of the discussions. Let Trump make an utter ass of himself publicly, saying a few things he can be held to behind closed doors later.

1 Like

Doesn’t matter. This is a war and it must be engaged, if only to retain the support and respect of their base and have a chance at winning over the center. They don’t have to go overboard, merely mess with his very small and diseased brain and keep him on the defensive and off-balance.

4 Likes

Baiting Trump perhaps to make it an open-door meeting next time?

7 Likes

She refers to a “tit-for-tat” aspect in particular, but, as with you, that’s not the meeting I saw.

2 Likes

I may be mistaken, but are there clips or citations where either Pelosi or Schumer have baldly labeled Trump a liar, using the word “liar”? You are presuming he’ll be called to a account in a manner, for things said in private, that you know Pelosi or Schumer will not do. Damned few Democrats call Trump a liar, the most direct adjective describing him. They prefer to hit him with a thesaurus, mincing words out of misplaced deference, as if insulting Trump will unnecessarily alienate the skinheads, Dominionists and misogynists they need to attract in 2020.

4 Likes

Best bring lots of hamberders and diet coke and some flash cards.

Crazy, isn’t it? Flashed back to a deli across the street from work: bacon egg and cheese on a roll, “swathed” in butter as my boss would say when ordering, already sweating and uncomfortable in a too tight shirt. Trump is everywhere!

But yea, flashcards would work - if Trump didn’t think they were some kinda trick - or slight - which he would take personally, like everything else.