Discussion: How Scalise's Speech At A White Nationalist Event Scandal Came Out

Discussion for article #231564

I am enjoying watching Republicans make fools of themselves before the new Congress even takes over. However, on a serious note, I don’t know if Scalise is a racist or not, and that is not really the point. The point is that he and other Republicans are more than willing to court the racist vote. Quite frankly, I have more respect for the racist than I do for current day Republican politicians. At least the racist will tell me to my face that he does not like me because of the color of my skin. The beliefs of a racist are abhorrent, but at least the racist has beliefs. Who the hell knows what Republicans really believe? What we do know is that they have no problem fanning the flames of racism and pandering to racist voters if doing so will win elections. If you are a racist, then you should be insulted at being lumped in with today’s version of the Republican party.

27 Likes

‘It’s no secret. In fact that wins you more votes. That’s what (Scalise) ran on.’

Ladies and gentlemen I give you your 2014 GOP majority!

19 Likes

If you court racists, then you are a racist.

14 Likes

In Scalise’s defense, it was, even ten years ago, already getting harder and harder to tell the difference between any simple Republican Rightie gathering and a conclave of hardcore racists, bigots, white supremacists, misogynists, homophobes and all-round’ shitmuffins. Today it is, in fact, (sans white sheets and hoods of course) impossible.

Po-taaa-to.
Po-taaahh-to.

5 Likes

Now we know where this guy’s brain cells are at.

1 Like

In 1980 St Ronnie announced his candidacy in Philadelphia Mississippi. That says it all.

12 Likes

And then St. Ronnie actually said “welfare queen” and “strapping young buck” giving succeeding generations of R pols permission to be racist pigs.

13 Likes

It is possible to be a bigot without being a racist and it is possible to be a psychopath who has no feelings on the topic but is perfectly willing to fan the flame of racism for personal benefit. But down in the south, you’re generally going to find that white Republicans are at least two of those things and sometime all three, but rarely only one and never none.

4 Likes

I’ll answer your first question, YES he is a racist. That’s fact!

1 Like

Scalise is exposed as a closet white supremacist and now becomes a political liability for the House GOP caucus.
Can we say “tip of the iceberg”? …

4 Likes

“…Duke himself … met with Scalise several times…”

Birds of a feather.

3 Likes

If Scalise was more racist, he could make it to #2 or even as high as #1 in the Repub Party.

Boener and McConnell are quite the closet cases aren’t they.

Who is surprised by this? This is their core constituency. Somebody with a vowel at the end of their name is only white while there are blacks and mestizos walking around … if they were ‘taken care of’ then the Mediterraneans would be next. The list of undesirables of these people is long and irrational. At different points Irish and Slavs were not considered ‘white’.

2 Likes

If Scalise only knew some history regarding how his Italian brethren were treated in LA.

John Parker, who helped organize the lynch mob, later went on to be governor of Louisiana. In 1911, he said of Italians that they were “just a little worse than the Negro, being if anything filthier in [their] habits, lawless, and treacherous.”

4 Likes

“With that tip, though, White pored through forums of the white supremacist website Stormfront and found the posts that placed Scalise at the event.”

Hope he had plenty of disinfectant available.

1 Like

I’m thinking that being one of six state reps who didn’t want the King holiday
veers this one towards racism.

2 Likes

if ya look like a racist, talk like a racist and walk like a racist, than you aren’t a duck…

He’s no liability because he accurately represents the racist base of the RepubliKKKLAN Party!

the Republican Party had worked diligently since the congressman’s rise in national politics to erase any references of any previous affiliation with Duke or EURO

Hood to hood and hand to hand…