Discussion: How Could Donald Trump Have Not Known About Felix Sater's Dark Past?

10 Likes

I don’t think the legal standard is even that high: known or should have known. And besides, what con artist doesn’t do due diligence on potential associates or marks?

11 Likes

Trump wouldn’t have been put off by all that. He’s positively attracted to louche, boundary-violating types, being one himself. But when anything like this is pointed out about an associate he’s suddenly Mr. Magoo—doesn’t remember, barely ever heard of the guy, wouldn’t know him in a room, employed him very briefly, all that. He’ll be saying that about Jared Kushner any day now, never mind Sater.

29 Likes

Willful ignorance is nice

The “New Yorker” Aug 21 has two nice articles, one about the dubious sides of DT’s business, the other about Julian Assange.

The later suggests, that the Russian actions against HRC were revenge for the Panama leaks, which Putin took personally as an American attack on him, his family and close associates. It was a coincidence, that the Trump campaign could be used as a tool, and a nice bonus, it cost HRC the election. Makes a lot of sense to me…

12 Likes

Well, of course he knew. He probably liked that about Sater.

ETA: I see @mattinpa beat me to it. Again. :laughing:

9 Likes

I suppose it would even the playing field if I did more constructive work. But where’s the fun in that? :sunglasses:

9 Likes

Like most folks Trump’s primary concern appears to be getting what he wants but, unlike most folks (and grandiose vulgarity aside), appears to have no moral or ethical restraints about getting it. What he wants doubtless varies from arena to arena – from women it’s one thing, toadies another, mob connected operators another, etc – but abundant lack of restraint seems constant. I’m sure Trump knew in a general way that Sater was dirty, or at least was unlikely to get him what he wanted if he wasn’t suitably ‘connected,’ but doubt that mattered except to the degree Sater could serve his need.

Somewhat OT but I keep coming back again and again to how perfectly Trump represents the pragmatic consequences of contemporary Republicanism and nihilistic individualism (AKA conservative libertarian) generally: he is no outlier – he is their apotheosis, his every act a graphic illustration of the difference between license and liberty – and their outrage at his excesses can only be interpreted as the shock of recognition.

33 Likes

Perfect!

5 Likes

6 Likes

It sounds like Sater has been walking a tightrope by making himself valuable enough to the Feds to get them to look the other way at his illegal activities. He will probably turn on Trump in a second if it is to his advantage and he has already hinted that is going to happen. Stay tuned folks, the big reveal is probably close and I can’t wait. Mueller seems to be running a really tight ship and no one, including the WH, may see it coming until it lands. My guess is that Sater is already under protective custody or heavy surveillance at this point.

4 Likes

How Could Donald Trump Have Not Known …?

Uhhh he lied about it?

5 Likes

I don’t know what to think, on the one hand, to any normal person Slater’s issues are obvious, on the other hand are the numerous examples of folks who have tried mightily to penetrate Trump’s thick skull by painstakingly explaining very simple concepts and failing over and over again. Remember Australia’s Prime Minister and refugees that come by boat or Angela Merkel trying to explain that EU countries don’t make trade deals independently, all deals must go through the Union.

There is a lot he should know, that normal people know, but he doesn’t. I don’t think being dumb as a stump is an excuse, but it is Trump’s reality.

1 Like

Trump can no more say no to dirty money than he can say no to that second scoop of ice cream. He lives in a completely different moral universe than the rest of us - as a matter of fact, for a malignant narcissist morality has about as much meaning for him as string theory.

Just gotta say, Sam Thielman is rockin’ it.

5 Likes

How could Trump not have known?

“I don’t deal in hypotheticals”

1 Like

“louche”?? That’s such a 90’s, New Yorker word.
The murky concoction of absinthe and water is the basis for “louche”, or so I read once, 20 years ago—when people actually used such pretentious words:)

2 Likes

From today’s FT:

5 Likes

I don’t think this President values any skill so highly as the con man’s ability to convince people who matter, that he isn’t such a bad guy.

That conviction is the only thing keeping him out of the Cabinet.

Either that, or he’s done a Whitey Bulger, only with much more money and not quite as many killings. We like to think of the FBI as incorruptible, and they don’t seem to be as corrupt as, say, some local police departments. But there have certainly been plenty of cases where agents have acted in corrupt ways.

1 Like

:scream:

3 Likes

What’s the point of Due Diligence if the government can hide someone’s fraud conviction? This doesn’t make any sense.

7 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available