Discussion: How A Blown Deadline Has Haunted Kobach In His Voting Law Trial

2 Likes

If Kris Kobach isn’t living proof of The Peter Principle, then I don’t know what is…

44 Likes
6 Likes

Kris Kobach is an idiot. He should have been updating that suspense list on a quarterly basis once the suit was filed.

As to being living proof of the Peter Principl3, I’ll take leave to point out that Kobach is seeking a promotion to Governor. I know that Peter described the lateral arabesque percussive sublimation as a bureaucratic move to get someone out of a critical position into a (nominally) higher position where the incumbent could do less harm. However, I don’t think governor is an office meeting the requirements of the lateral arabesque percussive sublimation. This is especially true when you consider the damage that Sam Brownstainback has done in his eight-year reign of terror.

H/T @gbh for clarifying the distinction between the lateral arabesque and the percussive sublimation. It’s been decades since I read The Peter Principl3. I guess it’s time to re-read it.

20 Likes

A points the defense should make is how long it takes for someone to be removed from the list and the burden many have proving citizenship. Add to that who many who could legitimately vote were denied the right and who many more of them are there compared to those who commit fraud or mistakenly think they can vote when they can’t?

1 Like

Bleeding Kansas recidivus

History may not repeat itself, but it does have a way of paraphrasing its earlier pronouncements.

15 Likes

The law is basically enforced by court actions, which are defined by deadlines. Miss a deadline, lose the suit. Kind of amazing that this basic tenet of law is not clear to this folks. IANAL and I get this.

13 Likes

I’m sure the irony is lost on Kobach and his team, that they are trying to prove that illegals are not playing by the rules and are thus committing voter fraud, while they themselves keep trying to break the trial court’s rules and rulings at every step they can.

36 Likes

Can’t wing it in court, Kobach. The third branch is not the first branch and is all about rules and procedures.

18 Likes

As a rule, Trump-curious individuals are contemptuous of the rule of law and of rules in general. They think that part of what made their bygone version of America great was free-wheeling “deal-making”, before all those damn regulations and lawyers stepped in and squeezed peanut butter into all the gears.

They are the lawyers who don’t know how trials work. They are the “fuck your testing process, we’ll fix it in production” developers. None of this should come as any surprise.

22 Likes

Is that the one where people who proclaim to be the most principled are actually giant dicks?

9 Likes

Wow. These KKKobach absolutely sucks at doing the one thing he’s dedicated his pathetic, racist self to doing. Kris, maybe you should consider taking that job at Hardee’s down by the interstate.

3 Likes

That’s some fine lawyering, there, son; good thing you won’t be responsible for court costs.

8 Likes

I wonder to what extent the fact that the judge in the case is female played into his erronious conclusion that the dates in her order were not binding on him.

9 Likes

And the TPM photo-editor nails it again ! (it’s what lured me in long time ago).

3 Likes

I think you may have confused the lateral arabesque with the purcusive sublimation. The lateral arabesque involves moving someone to another division to get rid of them, while the purcusive sublimation is kicking someone upstairs to get rid of them. The lateral arabesque has a varient form that involves fobbing a problem off on someone else. The Peter Principle is still one of the best management books out there.

8 Likes

Hey Kobach: Do. Not. Piss. Off. The. Federal. Judge.

Pretty much the first thing every baby trial lawyer learns.

21 Likes

That ship sailed last Tuesday afternoon, @ghost.

12 Likes

The ACLU and plaintiffs are making those points. That’s what is making the Kansas team defending the law desperate. When it comes to infringements on rights, it’s all about burden versus benefit, and they know that the proof of citizenship requirement is far from the least burdensome method of avoiding voter fraud.

16 Likes

Again, the GOP official casts himself as a victim of a mean ol’ judge; a judge who has the gall to follow the law and rules of evidence. When the GOP loses anything, it’s always due to mean liberals and activist judges. Whiny-ass titty baby republicans continue to maintain a brisk market in the world’s tiniest violins.

10 Likes