Discussion: House Passes GOP Tax Overhaul Bill As Senate Version Faces New Problems

This, this, this . . . . Their goal is to eventually dismantle the social programs and this tax plan will allow them to argue for that.

3 Likes

The Repubs were against the deficit before they were for it.

3 Likes

Corporations are not starved for money; they’ve had to fend off being bought out due to their huge cash stashes.

1 Like

This isn’t bold; it’s a pure dirty deal for GOP donors.

Wow. When none of this comes to pass—as it won’t—what kind of soft-shoe will Ryan resort to?

3 Likes

You’re right on, but too late. It’s disappointing that the Dems (and TPM) keep pointing to the fact that taxes will go up on the middle class. That’s important, but it’s not the headline grabber. The head jerker is that in order to keep the cost of the tax cut to $1.5 tril, the GOP budget passed a few weeks ago includes, already includes, massive cuts to Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid. Those are in the budget. If the Senate goes along with this and Trump signs it, we will literally be watching those on the safety net financing tax cuts for the wealthiest among us.

Time to turn the heat up, Dems!

5 Likes

I worked in a very large multi-national company’s tax department for 7 years. Believe me they did not pay a 35% effective tax rate. They had 60 of us to ensure they did not. And, we were not taking aggressive tax risks because large corporations are continuously under IRS audit. The IRS had an office in our headquarters. There are already enough legal deductions and credits so large corporations can and do minimize their taxes, which they believe is the fiduciary duty to their shareholders. OK - it most-likely is. Cut their taxes and the tax director and corporate officers are getting a raise. I don’t believe they will hire more or give the regular employees higher raises because of this. In fact, they may be able to get by with smaller tax departments and cut some of those high paying jobs. Corporate tax cuts are not necessary. Nor is cutting the estate tax which only affects couples with more than $11.2 million of assets. I guess the rest of us can just eat cake.

4 Likes

Can I file my taxes on the back of a post card now?

Mister "“We’ve been dreaming of this since I’ve been around,” “Since you and I were drinking out of kegs.” looks so self-satisfied. I wonder if President Frankenputz is going to throw “Squeaker” Ryan another half-baked “victory” party?

Yes, just be sure to tape all your money down really good, and be sure to use enough postage.

“Sen. John Thune, R-S.D., argued that the same Taxation Committee tables showed that higher earners were still bearing a large share of the overall tax burden.”

Would that be because higher earners reap the vast majority of the wealth in this nation Sen. Thune? And that a lot of their income is investment-based?

And hasn’t tRUmp boasted about the strength of the economy? If it is so strong, why the need to tweek taxes? Typical rhetoric from R’s is that the tax breaks for the wealthy is needed to spur economic growth, yet they are already claiming strong growth?

3 Likes

Keelhaul?

1 Like

The first major tax rewrite in three decades has been a career-long goal of countless Republicans politicians, who tout the reductions as a boon to families […]

Yes. The Koch family, the Trump family, the Mogilevich family, the Bonanno family … lots of families.

Not yours or mine, of course. But somebody’s gotta pay for all this.

2 Likes

Deficits are only bad when Democrats are in office. You know, like emergency measures to save the fricking global economy after the Reps drove it into the ditch.

Clinton left office with the budget in the black. Didn’t take Dubya too long to “fix” it.

1 Like

It buys Little Paulie the love and admiration of the Koch Brothers. Apparently that’s the most important thing.

2 Likes

Paul Ryan looks like a guy who just came in to a lot of money.

Taxes are going up. So are health care premiums. So is debt. The Republican plan for economic recovery.

1 Like

Since Thatcher, the Conservatives in the UK (public sector debt = 87% of GDP) have fought constantly to prevent a land-value tax like they have quite successfully had in Denmark since 1961. (Denmark public sector debt = 37% of GDP) The result is that the bulk of assets in the country are held as land or rights to land, essentially the public spending continues to gift to landlords and banks that hold real estate as collateral or mortgages. But you also lose the vibrancy of making stuff, inventing stuff and living on the technology frontier. This latest tax is more telling in what it omits. Trump was our Brexit. We can’t afford to live in our own cities and towns. (US public sector debt = 110% of GDP). Can we really survive as a country of the rich, by the rich and for the rich?

2 Likes

In the TV show, Black Sails, I learned what that term actually meant. Not pretty.

And corporate CEOs along with the wealthiest Americans shout out in unison:
“Cha-Ching!”

If this thing or the senate actually passes, the only thing that will follow is the worst depression this country has ever seen. No bones about it, we are in trouble.

1 Like