Discussion: House Intel Dems Stymied By Delay In Republicans Assigning Members

Gee, can you just picture Trey Gowdy or Jason Chaffetz holding up their 53rd Benghazi Investigation because the Dems were slow dogging naming Committee members ?

Bwa…hahahahahahahaha ! ! !

Time for Nancy Pelosi, or “Nancy”, as I call her, to step in & end this shit. Now.

27 Likes

What happens under house rules if they don’t appoint anyone? Can the speaker step in and make appointments?

6 Likes

I wasn’t sure either so I did a quick google. Depends on the committee type. Some have rules built into them, others don’t. But the House can always create a new committee with new rules or a committee that doesn’t require any GOP.

37 Likes

That would be sweet. So sweet, in fact, that I doubt it could happen.

2 Likes

Could this be yet another attempt to twist the rules and Constitution?

It is baldfaced pure obstructionism at its worst and most dangerous form and sets dangerous precedents…

At what point do the Dems starting cutting deals with Senate members to get them to caucus with them as independents? I would sure as hell be throwing feelers out there, starting with the 6 that voted for the D’s Senate bill…

11 Likes

Trying to drag this out

To what end? Do they think they can last 650 days??

5 Likes

I suspect it’s a tempest in a teacup. The Speaker can rein this in if she needs to. She’s just holding back to give them a chance and they know it. Probably they assumed the House would be consumed by a battle with their Fearful Leader and they just didn’t think beyond that.

16 Likes

Yeah, probably, they’re pretty stupid

I think most of the senators who broke ranks are in purple states. We have to ask if we want to bring them in knowing they will vote against us on lots and lots of issues.

3 Likes

They can’t fill them because they are all compromised and can’t get security clearances…

7 Likes

Nunes isn’t compromised?

4 Likes

You wonder if they really understand the seriousness of all this. It’s not a lawsuit over a leaky basement or something where delaying tactics can help. What happened was historically outrageous and for Christ’s sake it’s all coming out anyway. They’ve got a beating coming whether they play these games or not.

34 Likes

No committee business can commence until the members are all selected.

What is to stop that rule from being changed?

What is to stop the Dem majority from passing a rule that if members aren’t assigned by a certain date then they will be assigned randomly?

13 Likes

I find complaints about air travel to climate talks absurd in the extreme. Few are complaining about air travel in general, and don’t flinch at all when they personally fly somewhere, but fly to a climate talk and it’s hair on fire headline news around the world.

8 Likes

Are not GOPers in the minority in numbers on the committee?
Proceed without them if they don’t wanna play.

4 Likes

Would be sweet if Mueller charges Nunes with obstruction of justice and conspiracy for what he did in the past. That would goose the process.

What are the rules re deliberate, prolonged foot-dragging to delay a congressional investigation? At what point could the Dems have a case for new obstruction?

11 Likes

Over the last 30 (est) years, the republican stratergy has been reduced to:

1. Double down on stupid.
  2. A Miracle happens
  3. We win!!

There is a flaw in this plan. If only I could put my finger on it.

14 Likes

I suspect Madame Speaker is going to try and restore some norms of decency and order to proceedings in the House.

And, if that doesn’t work, as her daughter said, they will know their throats have been cut when the bleeding intensifies.

13 Likes

I think this is less about protecting Trump and more about protecting other Republican members of Congress who got help either directly from Russia or indirectly with Russian funding through groups like the NRA. This is your opening, Democrats, to start hammering them with questions, too.

21 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available