Discussion: House GOP Panel Now Targeting The SEC For Probing Exxon On Climate Change

1 Like

Well, it’s pretty clear who his employer is, and it ain’t his constituents.

Corporate money flowing into candidates’ coffers. What could possibly go wrong?

4 Likes

If I’m understanding this correctly, a Rethugliklan who doesn’t believe in scientific research believes in, and is defending the sanctity of, Exxon’s scientific research. Ooooooooo-kay.

Science, schmience.

4 Likes

The Flat-Earth people live!

3 Likes

‘Witch hunt,’ ‘fools errand’…wow! Talk about projection

2 Likes

I can’t find it, but someone on my FB posted a chart disproving the CO2 global warming link—by showing 1 billion years of the history of global temperature and CO2. Wow… real science.

1 Like

How did we get here with Trump as a major party nominee?

Oh yeah. People like this guy. People just like this.

8 Likes

House Science Committee Chair Rep. Lamar Smith (R-TX)

There are more oxymorons in that phrase than you can shake a stick at. As well as the moron himself…

4 Likes

“…the AG’s efforts, characterized variously as a ‘witch hunt’ and ‘fool’s errand,’ an ‘abuse of powers,’ ‘pathetic,’ a ‘schtick,’ and an ‘uphill battle,’ have failed to uncover any indicia of wrongdoing by Exxon,” said Lamar Smith.

For a second there I thought he was making a Kevin McCarthy blunder about the hundreds, or could be thousands, but probably hundreds, of investigations into Benghazi.

1 Like

the AG’s efforts, characterized variously as a ‘witch hunt’ and ‘fool’s
errand,’ an ‘abuse of powers,’ ‘pathetic,’ a ‘schtick,’ and an ‘uphill
battle,’

uh-huh–care to cite a source for those quotes? $10 says that Breitbart, Fox News, WND or some Republican House member (Lamar Smith himself, perhaps?).

2 Likes

The Chair now acknowledges the Representative for the Wrong Side of History…

4 Likes

Didn’t they ban science in Texas?

3 Likes

to answer my own question:
Witch hunt (CNS News): http://www.cnsnews.com/commentary/hans-bader/liberal-ags-climate-change-witchhunt-expands-include-more-innocent-victims

patthetic (Murdoch’s NY Post): http://nypost.com/2016/08/21/eric-schneidermans-pathetic-new-pretext-for-probing-exxon/

2 Likes

Not exactly. The issue is that Exxon’s research showed climate change would be a huge problem, not just for the world but for Exxon’s bottom line (they knew this well before the scientific consensus, ironically), and the executives continued to deny it to their investors. Smith thinks they should be able to pretend the research doesn’t exist or is fake, like he does. So really he’s defending the executives’ right to commit securities fraud.

5 Likes

Please call Mary Jo White to testify, pretty please. I have met the woman, and she will tear Rep. Smith a new anus. I guess the dead-enders are using their last few months to pull out all the stops. With any luck, it will be a whole new ballgame next January. I believe the GOP will hang on to the House, but it’s my fervent hope that they will lose the White House and the Senate. At that point, we install a “non-conservative” justice on the Supreme Court, or possibly more. The Tea Party reign of terror is fizzling out.

1 Like

Reign of terror? Nah, more like a tea-stained golden shower…

2 Likes

Also, he’s so concerned about the dangers of intimidating scientists and suppressing research that he is conducting an entire witch hunt whose clear purpose is to intimidate and suppress.

Ignorance is strength. War is peace. Freedom is slavery.

4 Likes

There is some good news.The chocolate ration was just raised to 20 grams. Meet me at the Two-Minutes Hate later?

2 Likes

Recommended alternative: http://xkcd.com/1732/

2 Likes

So, this guy and his fellow attacked academic researchers or governmental research bodies like NSF and NASA as potentially being bias etc. However, they are willing to pretend like scientific research is mostly done by private companies with a vested interest? Does not mean they cannot do good work, but most reports are that there results are the same as everybody else. They just hid it, like cigarettes.

This guy is all over the place in terms of priorities. And there would be no chilling effect on descent in science. As evidence is all that is required.

1 Like