Discussion: House Dems Subpoena Trump's Tax Returns

1 Like

It’s about time.

38 Likes

This shouldn’t fall under “Friday night news dump” but I’ll take it.

26 Likes

It’s not an obscure law, since it’s been invoked dozens of times in recent memory

36 Likes

This, of course, now establishes the legislative rationale (to propose future policy about when a president’s taxes should be audited) that Mnuchin said didn’t exist. Game on . . . .

20 Likes

Trump supporters are dumb in so many ways!

24 Likes

Now Trump will have no choice but to release his tax returns. Good thinking, Chairman Neal!

7 Likes

And the case for this is extremely strong…the law is clear, there are no exceptions, and the case gets stronger every time Trump says that he’s smart because he doesn’t pay taxes. All of this will make the court case a slam dunk, presuming the judges follow the law…that’s why it took so long to get here, despite people being impatient it was critical to build up the background on this one, because it’s a clear violation of the law and really there isn’t a legal argument to make.

It is funny that now that subpoenas are flying people who have been demanding them are still not happy…I guess they would rather use Republican extra-legal methods to get rid of Trump, instead of making sure our rules and institutions are forced into operating properly. If we don’t do it right, then we are no better than them, and Democrats have to set the good example and not play in the mud if we’re going to get out of this with the nation intact.

46 Likes

Gonna love to see how Roberts rationalizes hiding trump’s tax returns.

17 Likes

And, the hits just keep on coming. If the slimy Steven Mnuchin doesn’t comply, charge him $100,000 a day till he does and lock his wife up as added security.

21 Likes

Now we get to see if the GOP Supreme Court is also corrupt.

14 Likes

“When the ‘committee access’ provision, as it’s known, became law in 1924, Congress had been dealing with taxpayers’ information in the Teapot Dome scandal afflicting the Harding administration and in a controversy involving former Treasury Secretary Andrew Mellon. Like Trump, he had served in government while refusing to avoid conflicts of interest by letting go of his holdings.”

Almost 100 years of rock-solid precedent.

Enjoy being dragged, Donnie.

46 Likes

Yay! Moving faster now. Maybe take Neal of the slow-walkers’ list.

January 3: Democrats take over House.

April 3: Rep. Neal, D-Mass., requested for Trump’s tax returns in 2-page letter

April 10: Steven Mnuchin refuses to release tax returns

April 23: Steven Mnuchin refuses to release tax returns, says decision by May 6

May 6: Steven Mnuchin refuses to release tax returns

May 10: Neal subpoenas the tax returns

14 Likes

Like that’s going to actually matter to the Supreme 5?

2 Likes

"under an obscure OFTEN INVOKED law that allows MANDATES the IRS to produce any taxpayer’s returns if requested by Congress "

FIFY

The word “shall” is unambiguous. This is first year lawschool type shit that any Law & Order junky can follow. Stop the fucking hedging nonsense.

38 Likes

And, here’s the teapot gas station in Zillah, Wa. named after the Teapot Dome scandal.
Quite cute, I’ve seen her in person.

19 Likes

Damn right we can.

17 Likes

Narrator: They are.

3 Likes

Hehe…I didn’t mean it as an insult…I’m a L&O junky myself.

Sigh…I miss Jerry Orbach…

21 Likes

None taken :wink:

6 Likes