Discussion: Hillary Clinton Says We Shouldn't Abolish Death Penalty

I think it gains her support from people who believe violence is the solution to every problem.

1 Like

I don’t believe in using it for revenge or ā€œJusticeā€ whatever that means in these cases.

But that’s just the thing - it IS about revenge. Retribution. An eye for an eye. Look, if that’s where you’re coming from, there’s nothing I can say to dissuade you from it. Regarding your example of the cannibal, in my opinion, that’s what insane asylums used to be for. We used to put people away in asylums who were VERY CLEARLY insane and would harm other people. Now, we put those same people away in prison with other offenders creating a population of criminals that are the worst of the worst and can never be released.

3 Likes

Not really. The people who are hot for the death penalty want to hang everybody who commits a serious violent crime by his or her genitals. Her position is really closer to the mushy middle. Most of those people won’t move out of their easy chairs to vote for or against her on this issue.

2 Likes

I think you may have already stepped in it with this comment…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

None. I suppose I’d throw my vote to her if Maine was looking close. I’m just so sick of American bloodlust.

5 Likes

Most of them are voting in a different primary…

Or, maybe this is genuinely how she feels. I feel the exact same way about the death penalty. I don’t like it, its unquestionably unfairly handed down to the poor and/or minorities. The punishment is also handed out far too frequently. There should be some sort of standard of application, but I also believe there are some people that have just got to be wiped off the face of this planet. This is one issue where I, and I suspect many others on the left, fall far closer to the middle of the road. It’s not about triangulation, it’s about a vastly different opinion.

2 Likes

You talking about Dick Cheney?

3 Likes

There may be some( or at least one ) where the death penalty is too mild —

2 Likes

Agreed, I guess I find it less galling to think her political means to an end (looking tough etc) are bad, than her actual thoughts on policy are bad.

It helps me cope with the likely reality I will be voting for her next November :smile:

(I concede when/if the contrast to Clinton is a republican, as in the general, my feelings about Clinton will be less down)

please state one.

and that’s what the ā€˜ultimate penalty’ is often applied to…

Well thank goodness lack of voting won’t put war mongering death penalty favoring Republicans in office instead, you know?

2 Likes

I oppose the death penalty completely. But only a quarter of the people in this country feel that way. I’ll cheerfully vote for Hillary because the real-world outcomes if she wins will be infinitely preferable to the not-impossible scenario of a President Carson or a President Trump or a President Cruz. We have serious problems right now because in 2010 and 2014 Democrat voters sat home. If movement conservatives aren’t stopped we may find ourselves living in a very different sort of country a lot sooner than even the most pessimistic of us thought possible. If the country rejects them we have a pretty good shot at continuing as some sort of democracy. I think that’s more important than getting everything I want from a given candidate, especially when we have absolute staunch progressives right here who won’t totally reject the death penalty.

8 Likes

I don’t like the death penalty, but when I think of people like Tim McVeigh, I feel he definitely deserved to be executed.

3 Likes

In the House, 82 voted for it, 126 voted against it. In the Senate 29 voted for it, 21 against it. She takes a lot of shit for that vote, but too many also forget that she had a lot of company on her side of the isle.

2 Likes

It really isn’t though. With some of these crazy violent people, while I feel incredible sorrow for the victims of his crimes, I don’t feel any real anger toward the perpetrator. It really isn’t their fault they are so mentally disturbed. There is something wrong with them. They are broken. They are barely human beings. When I have something that is broken, I dispose of it. I don’t put it in the closet and forget about it like a hoarder. So I look at these ā€˜people’ the same way I look at a scum spot on the wall. They are something that needs to be removed. It is the equivalent of what we do with herds of animals. We put down the ill and diseased. Not for revenge, but for the sake of the herd.

I used to be full-throated in favor of the death penalty, but I am not anymore. We really shouldn’t be using it more than 2 maybe 3 times a year nation wide, and only in the truly truly disturbed individuals. Not like Texas. So we need to take a long hard look at the system, because it is currently broken.

I know you didn’t bring it up, but others have, like @jonney_5 : the argument that the death penalty is more expensive than life in prison. I find that an ironic argument for anti-death penalty people to make. The execution is really cheap. It costs a couple thousand dollars. The costs come from the fact that the state pays for lawyers for near unlimited appeals up to their executions. And that isn’t cheap. People who are sentenced to life get no such right. Their lawyers need to be paid for and they need to put forward ā€˜significant’ new evidence. So, ironically, if you are innocent, it is much more likely that justice will be served if you are sentenced to death than if you get life in prison. We have all seen multiple cases of people on death row exonerated. But how many lifers have you seen exonerated? The number is much smaller, because of this very reason. No one ever talks about that.

Locking them up and throwing away the key with no chance of appeal or parole really isn’t any more humane than the death penalty with actual chances of exoneration. But it does make us feel better about ourselves.

4 Likes

And do you see her as a blood lusty American?

neh…

but she is from an area of the country (I’ll go with Arkansas, considering that Illinois recently struck the measure down) where this question will be asked to her again. Either by a reporter who minds his ā€˜dotted i’s’ or a female reporter who is used as a shield to get that ā€˜proper answer.’

I can think of two cases. There was the guy, I believe in OK, who was given one of those death penalty cocktails in which he died an insufferable death. He raped a baby to death. There was also another who suffered needlessly after a death penalty cocktail. He raped and murdered two girls who happened to knock on the door of a house he was robbing. He also buried them alive. And, as another mentioned, Timothy McVeigh.

1 Like

Human beings aren’t farm animals. We as fellow beings try to cure our own, before settling on something such as that.