Discussion: Here's What Obama Might Address In His Last State Of The Union Speech

Discussion for article #244467

I hope the resounding, underlying message is that the Democratic party is the one best equipped with the tools necessary to confront the challenges ahead. And that the ignominious prescriptions emanating from the Republican ranks offer absolutely nothing but mechanisms for ripping our society apart.

3 Likes

When over 50% of the joint congressional audience has the intelligence, political vision and legerdemain of a bunch of potted Ficus, his message will founder on a rough sea in a perfect storm of stupid intransigence. As Star Trek’s Scotty once said to Catain Kirk (I’m told on good…well, slightly questionable authority):

“But Cap’n, Uh tried puttin’ a wiener in the warp drive, but och, it dinna dew na gud!”

2 Likes

I love my president but I don’t why his admin is doing this deportation thing in an election year.

I always chuckle when economists mention that $600.00 in gasoline savings. Working people have not seen a raise in 40 years. The good manufacturing jobs with benefits are gone. Their pensions have been raided. The equity in their homes has been raided. There is no way cheap gasoline can come close to making up for any of that.

1 Like

OT: I thought President Obama is a leftie. I am left-handed and wear my watch on my right hand so as not to interfere when I write. Others?

He is a leftie, without a doubt. Don’t know about the watch thing. I am right handed but wear my watch on my left arm

This President can do all things Beatty Cat. Not that you can’t but we know he can including parting the waters. And BTW, that’s a mighty handsome pix of my prez!

3 Likes

I think the only “bad” pics I’ve ever seen of President Obama are ones where he’s obviously tired. Otherwise, he very photogenic.

1 Like

…as if any of this will mean a damned thing to RWNuts…

I’ll have you know that I can turn wine into water… well, liquid, anyway. Does that count?

I for one would like to hear him really tout his achievements, which are many. Every single time anything he has done wisely and correctly, headlines read, "Unemployment falls to 5% … BUT…"

I think this is the actual racism in the country, not expressed, but a subtle disbelief that HE couldn’t have done something so wise, so important et al. It’s as if whatever he has accomplished --from green energy to climate change to unemployment to raising taxes on the rich, to reining in Wall Street with the CFCB not to mention the ACA, it’s always accompanied by that “BUT…”

I can’t think of any other president subjected to this. As if the legislating and regulation making he has done just wasn’t quite up to snuff… Think about what our nation was like, really like, seven years ago and please reconsider the “BUT…”

1 Like

I’m one of those strange people who do some things (e.g. write, eat) with the left, but others (e.g. throw a ball, use a mouse) with the right, but none are interchangeable (thus, I can’t eat with my right or throw with my left). I only wear a watch when I run (which, now, sadly, isn’t much) and I wear it on my left. I agree that if I wore a watch regularly, I would hate wearing it on my left because of the reason you note. But I’m so used to the weight/feel of a watch on my left that it would be strange to have it on my right.

1 Like

I’m multidextrous (is that a real term) as well. Not ambidextrous because, like you, I perform certain tasks with just one arm/hand and I cannot easily (just barely) interchange them. I will say, though, that when my spinal condition isn’t “acting up,” I can write some with my right hand. Hitting a baseball – only my left. Washing dishes, only my left. Shaving, absolutely only my left. I typically use my right hand to guide whatever task I’m doing, such as vacuuming. However, oddly enough, I almost always eat with my right. I am not sure how much my spinal stenoses (plural … many) play a role in anything except writing. Interesting, curious machines our bodies.

Edited for spelling.