Discussion: He’s Always Known: Trump Was Told In Jan 2017 That Putin Was Behind Attacks

Maybe at the leadership level but for sure here in East TN they still back the full 100%.

Look at the geography. Annexation of Montenegro is an impossibility unless you think Russia plans to annex all of the former Yugoslavia, a feat they did not manage even during the USSR days, (yes, Yugoslavia was communist but Tito was notoriously independent of the Soviets).

He won’t lose the die-hards, but he will lose the middle,which is where elections are won or lost.

1 Like

Sarah Huckabee Sanders getting triple-teamed is not a visual I need at this hour of the day. Or any hour, really.

Maybe I’m crazy, but I’ve kinda convinced myself that, at some point, the Secret Service would intervene to see that the rules are obeyed. That is to say that, in the event of successful impeachment and removal votes, they would tell him to pack his bags and vacate the White House. After all, the Secret Service, like all government employees, swear an oath to the Constitution, not to the President.

I see a dynamic wherein the GOP (both voters and officeholders) act as his firewall, until they don’t. If there’s either: (a) an economic downturn; (b) a brutal, House- and Senate-losing midterm for the GOP; or © both, then I can see the end coming quickly.

Bizarrely, the outcome of the Mueller investigation may be a less relevant factor than the above because Trump is already clearly guilty of impeachable offenses just on the information that’s publicly available to date, and because under the current set of circumstances, the GOP (both voters and officeholders) would probably find a way to rationalize even the most nightmarish Tom Clancy/James Bond revelations. So really, then, it all comes down to factors (a) and (b) above.

4 Likes

I think there are at least 4 separate cases for impeachment that aren’t connected to crimes identified by Mueller.

3 Likes

It puts a new spin on his efforts to destroy the trust in the IC and paint any news as fake. Nuanced maybe, but it changes my view of his intentions and what he was consciously doing in the time line.

1 Like

When does Summer Zervos get to depose pp?

Just curious, what d’ya got? (I figure emoluments is a no-brainer, and I reckon I could come up with a few more of my own if I thought about it, but I like and respect your analyses on here so I’m interested to know what you think.)

Kavanaugh is the end run around that. Congress protects Mueller. SC declares Special Counsel unconstitutional.

khyber900, your explanation for why we are where we are is as good as any I’ve read. I’ve always thought the pee tape probably exists but doesn’t matter beyond titillation. Trump has no shame and his supporters dismiss inconvenient facts, so the tape would hold little power over him.

Is it too soon to speculate that the ‘trail of dead Russian diplomats’ (https://www.cnn.com/2017/03/24/europe/dead-russians/index.html) might have links back to Trump’s meeting?

See: Scooter Libby.

I think it’s metastasized. The entire Republican party is all part of the same monstrous tumor. Per the Axios poll, 79% of them still approve of trump’s treason. My fear is that Americans cannot accept the prognosis.

Oh, we know the answer to that one. Everything they’ve been told on the propaganda channel.

Tax cuts.
No more abortion.
NoKo denuclearized.
Sex traffic rings broken up.
Bad brown people thrown in prison and deported.
Libs crying.

What’s not to like?

It’s the snowball effect. Corruption and a building whiff of treason. He won’t be having anymore reprieves. For now until the end it will be an escalating case of guilty acts proven by more guilty acts. His enablers are going to start being indicted or so afraid of it they will cease to be his cover. Things are not looking good for the man-baby. His worst nightmare is coming true, the whole world is laughing at him.

2 Likes

There’s a lot of appeal to that,viewed through a domestic policy lens. But it still leaves him able to start a war, especially a nuclear one, and privy to the most sensitive intelligence our country produces. His behavior over the past 18 months is less that of an unwitting stooge, and more that of an agent of a foreign power. Leaving him in place effectively gives Putin the ability to direct the US military and IC.

As long as it delivers the judicial branch for the next 25 years, most die hard R’s including the evangelicals would give a poodle a 79% approval rating.

Not saying I support leaving him in. Just think that it’s a possible scenario. I will be happy to be at that point where that discussion can be had. We have a lot more indictments to get through and an election to win.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available